Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Assume that your iPhone, along with its native 2FA, got lost. You're rich and you grab the nearest iPhone from the nearest shop, will you be able to sign-in in 2FA-must-have apps (say, Binance for the sake of the argument) again? I mean, especially if that app doesn't have another way to confirm the sign-in?

Maybe you could do that with other authenticaters like LastPass maybe, if you have the main account information(?), but the iPhone's authenticator depends on the physical device AFAIK.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
It depends on what app/method is used for MFA. Text/SMS based MFA will go to the phone number, so that doesn't matter. Some password apps (like Codebook) allow adding MFA codes to the password database, so that should be safely in your backups. Some other MFA apps are very difficult and do not store the MFA codes in the backup, so for anything using those, you'd be locked out (make sure to keep your backup codes somewhere safe at home).

iVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
The most popular ones are Google, Microsoft and Lastpass. Although I meant the iPhone's built-in authenticator in my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.