Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi all, hope well. Just wondering if this happens to anybody else out there and what the fix might be. It happened quite a few times but recently just a few moments ago.

I have three Apple devices on my account. One Mac, an iPhone and an iPad.
I go to sign in on the Mac and of course I get prompts from the iDevices with the required 6 digit code. Great.

What's worrying though is that I also get a prompt on the actual machine I am using that I used to make the request which surely defeats the point of the whole shebang.

That sound familiar to anybody?

In addition, related or not I don't know. I set up a new Mac very recently and before doing so, signed out of/deauthorised etc etc the old. Also removed it from my account.
When setting up the new one it asked me to put in the password of H2SO4s MacBook Pro????

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
That is the behaviour I am familiar with as well. It doesn't quite make sense, but I think Apple sends those notifications to all the trusted devices. So if you sign in from your trusted iPhone, and you are able to produce the username and password correctly, Apple assumes it is you trying to sign in. But if you use another iPhone that's not listed as trusted, then Apple won't know for sure it's you and shouldn't send a notification to that device. This is my understanding; please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: H2SO4

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
That is the behaviour I am familiar with as well. It doesn't quite make sense, but I think Apple sends those notifications to all the trusted devices. So if you sign in from your trusted iPhone, and you are able to produce the username and password correctly, Apple assumes it is you trying to sign in. But if you use another iPhone that's not listed as trusted, then Apple won't know for sure it's you and shouldn't send a notification to that device. This is my understanding; please correct me if I am wrong.
Ah, I see.
Ok thanks - that makes a bit of sense at least. (But still leaves a hole if someone is sitting at my Mac?).
Thing is it doesn't seem like I need to be near any of my otjher devices at all. Next time I do it, I'll switch off all my other devices. Maybe it's that way as the phone knows it's near the Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.