Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
It hangs on startup, its my friends macbook, bought in august of 2007. I reseted the RRAM, but still, no hope, after the second startup sound, it would just restart. and keep doing the "gong". I also did the safe boot by doing shift after the sound, and release when the wheel appears.

I also did option and click the Macintosh HD, no hope, and holding down D hoping for the hardware test, no hope, I'm gonna ask him for the CD's to do the hardware test, and load it off there.

also, fans are going up, I'm thinking its an HD failure.

UPDATE: inserted leopard disc, disk utility, and, its announced...dead.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
The Death of the white 2ghz C2D, 1gb, combo drive, 80GB Hitachi, august 07 macbook

Well, I'm typing on my family macbook, its a white 120GB, 2gb, 2.2ghz, at school, right next to me is a dead macbook, stuck at the startup screen with a never-ending swirl, leopard disc in it, and disk utility says that the drive has failed, this is the death of my friends macbook, which is his family's. luckily he got an imac 3 months ago, and he has all his files on the imac, but the family has no more macbook.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
NVM, just realized you were talking about the 2Ghz. Drive is easily replaced and 100+GB 2.5" drives can be had for $100 or less.

I'm not sure what you mean by wrong machine. it was a c2d 2ghz. I put the leopard disc in (it was originally tiger) and put on disk utility, it said there was a fatal error or some, the HD died.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I'm not sure what you mean by wrong machine. it was a c2d 2ghz. I put the leopard disc in (it was originally tiger) and put on disk utility, it said there was a fatal error or some, the HD died.

Sorry, I thought for a minute you were talking about the 2.2 and suggested you return as it was still under warranty (I removed that part of the comment) but since its the 2.0, you probably can't do that if they don't have Applecare and its more than a year old.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Sorry, I thought for a minute you were talking about the 2.2 and suggested you return as it was still under warranty (I removed that part of the comment) but since its the 2.0, you probably can't do that if they don't have Applecare and its more than a year old.

They can still send it to apple to fix it. They bought it in AUGUST 07.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.