Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxmarkc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
An now 24 hours later I have un-jailbreaked it!

It took three or four attempts to restore using itunes - kept getting a error message; it all got a bit scary but then it worked.

Why? you may ask. Well I have a habit of enjoying the chase and then getting bored. But more seriously I decided that:

i) Because I am starting from pretty much scratch local content wise there is nothing to stop me building up itunes readable content. I even purchased some cheap TV shows today (13 50 minute episodes for £2.99 - a bargin) from iTunes.

ii) A lot of the downloadable stuff xbmc Navi-X etc gives me is of very poor picture quality. This afternoon I watched a 4od episode of "Skins" which looked pretty horrible on the loung telly. If I really want to watch such content for now I can do that on my PC in my office - and it will a) look better on a much smaller screen, and b) 4od will play at a better resolution in a browser.

iii) The Apple TV is such a small investment I might as well go along for the ride and see where they take the software.

iv) At some point I am might want a fully fledged media PC - the Apple TV is never going to be that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.