Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
guys - I have an older iPhone that I simply use when a parent is visiting the country. Rest of the time, I'd like this phone not to get any FaceTime calls, etc or not sync with DND settings etc (2 totally opposite time zones). Is this possible? I'd still like to use the parent's iCloud since he will all have all his contacts ready to go when he visits. Is this possible?

Thanks

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Power the phone off when they’re not visiting? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I may be missing the point of your question, but that seems the simplest answer.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Well, I also allow my kids to use it occasionally especially when I need to reach them after they have a late evening class and I need to pick them up from school

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Don't DND settings use local time? So would not be active at the same world time, but would automatically be active on the same local-time schedule, depending on where the iPhone is actually located? (i.e., Your relative lives in Australia, then comes to New York, and would not need to adjust DND settings, as the iPhone knows what time it is locally, so DND would be at the same (local) time, no need to adjust for that, the iPhone takes care of it...)

Not sure if I understand - your parent has an iCloud account (assuming an AppleID, so they apparently have an iPhone, but you want to keep an iPhone that is always set up for their iCloud account... (So they don't have to bring their own iPhone???)
I don't want to know family "stuff", but just wondering why you need to keep a phone, set up just for your parents?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I suppose then, sign your parents out & erase the phone when they leave, set it up for your kids. Then reverse the process when they come back.

It’s a bit cumbersome but that’s the only way it’ll really work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.