Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
About the whole ATA-100 thing. On the new powermac board, there are ide channels for ATA-100, AND ATA-66, AND ATA 33. What gives? Are there three or four different IDE channels?

-Pete

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by fourthtunz

Hey isn't 16x, times 150k? So its actually a little under 3 mb's isn't it? I started back in the old days :) with a 2x burner and I thought that what the times thing was about.
Daniel
no.

16x CDs are 16x150kb/s
1x DVD is an 8x CD = 1200kb/s
and a 16x DVD is... well, you can do the math.

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
Originally posted by Sepulchre
Anyone notice that the option to add a second optical drive on apple's site will cost you £200, but you can find a DVD/ CDRW (LG 4120B) drive thats fully compatible for around £70?

Seems a bit steep to me:(

Do you know anywhere online where I can buy the LG 4120B. I've heard about it but can't find it anywhere. At least anywhere that has it in stock.

iN8

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Yeah, I missed that you were talking about DVDs:confused:
I do wonder why the rate would be that high though being that dv is about 3.2mb's per sec? Hey I don't get my new Mac with the DVD burner till Monday so I got lots of unanswered questions!
Thanks
Daniel:D

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by DannyZR2
The pro keyboards up until now had an eject key on them right??? well which optical drive will it control???

Perhaps, and this is what I think, perhaps this is the reason apple discontinued the current pro keyboard, to introduce one that has 2 eject buttons on it, one for each drive.. it makes sense, since they are probably gonna ship with new keyboards.. that's probably why!

well someone around here has a dual 867...but wouldn't it just make sense if it was SHIFT+EJECT to open the secondary drive?

keltorsori

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Question solved

Hit option eject. There is a knowledgebase article about this. Sheesh :) To quote from article 25345:

* In the Finder, Choose View > Customize Toolbar. In the window that appears, drag the Eject button to the toolbar, then click Done. Select the disc you want to eject in the Finder window, then click the Eject button in the toolbar.
* Press the Eject key on the Apple Pro Keyboard.
* To open the second optical drive on a Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) computer, press Option-Eject on the Apple Pro Keyboard.
* If you have a keyboard without an eject key, press F12 (under Mac OS X 10.1 and later). Note: You must press the F12 key longer to prevent the tray from accidentally opening.
* Click the eject button in iTunes (illustrated in Figure 1).
* Hold down the mouse button when you hear the startup sound as the computer restarts.
* Start up from Mac OS 9.2 and follow the options in the section above.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article....Value=100&showSurvey=true&sessionID=anonymous|146437356

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
On the new machines. Three buses, two old & one new.

The Key Largo chip has two buses a 33 and a 66 interface.

They added a new ATA-100 directly on the UniNorth 2.0x system controller chip.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by fourthtunz

Hey isn't 16x, times 150k? So its actually a little under 3 mb's isn't it? I started back in the old days :) with a 2x burner and I thought that what the times thing was about.
Daniel

Your right about CD drives but DVD drives work differently. They read/write much more per multiplication factor.

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Okay, so any internal ide drive can go in there? I wanted to get a good ide burner of at least 40X with burnproof. I also wanted a drive that would go well inside my new dual 1Ghz and not look weird or anything.

Is any IDE drive as compatible w/ this tower as the next?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I recommend the New Yamaha CRW-F1 44/24/44 w/T@2 Text+Graphics Burning Power

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com Click on each puzzle piece to read 8 press releases about it.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/multimedia/customer/features/feat_prodsCRWF1_1.html
Pictures and feature blurbs highlight the best features.

Overlooks that it can write to higher capacity 800 and 850 MB CDRs for the first time. It's in one of the press releases.

Above are the 2 links to read all about it. Toast 5.2 http://www.roxio.com shipping by mid-September will support. Current price $159 at http://www.pricewatch.com

The Toast 5.2 lite will be in the external 1394/USB2 version shipping in September box. But you can buy the IDE model right now.

BTW FYI

OPTION + Eject or F12 (OS X Eject Key) is the key combo to eject the lower optical drawer.

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Regarding eject

If you're running Jaguar, go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

There's an eject menu extra letting you control multiple drives.

I don't know if this has been said by others in here, but here you are :)

onemoof

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
I own a Dual 867 and yes the Eject button controls the top drive and Option-Eject controls the bottom drive.

Any IDE drive will do in the second bay. I have a "Windows only" 24x TDK VeloCD in my second bay and it works great with Toast. All drives are the same shape, just be sure that you take the decorative front panel off the drive before installing it. I didn't do this and after I installed it the door wouldn't open because it was hitting the edges inside the Power Mac : ). I then had to take it back out, remove the panel, and reinstall the drive which took about 5 minutes.

I'm not sure about how many IDE ports there are inside there. Nicely enough Apple has prewired all 4 hard drive slots and both optical slots with power and connection cables. There's also an IDE port on the mobo with nothing plugged into it, so maybe there are 4 separate buses? One for the Optical drives, one for the vertically mounted hard drives, one for the horizontally mounted hard drives, and an open one. I guess the open one is because in the manual it suggests for maximum optical drive performance you have a Master drive installed on the ATA 100 and the other one the Master on the ATA 66 port which comes unused. I'm thinking of installing another couple burners inside there, maybe 4 48X burners will have me cranking out a lot of CDs if I just carve some more drive bays in front of the computer's case : ). This is addition to the .48 TB of hard drives I could install, wow.

Anyway just be sure that you look at the Toast compatibility list before going to the store. Almost any drive will work. One suggestion is to not go so cheap that it doesn't have burn proof technology. I have both my drives with burn proof so I burn CDs simultaneously in the 16x burn Combo drive and the 24x burner I installed and have no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.