Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi,

I am upgrading my setup from a 2010 iMac and a 2012 iPad. I already bought an 11" iPad and I love it but I am struggling with the iMac choice.

I originally ordered the smaller 21.5 inch with the 3.00 GHz i5, 256 SSD and 16 GB RAM. I like the speed, the absolute zero noise, the Magic Keyboard and the Magic Mouse 2. I edit photos and watch lots of Netflix and HBO, play some indie games or games like Civilization IV. Everything looks fine.

But after seeing an 5K iMac I really miss the big screen now. So I am going to return this computer and order the 27" model. My initial idea was to get the same specs with the exception of the 512 SSD. The problem is that upgrading the SSD makes the difference between the i5 3.00 GHz (and 4GB 570X graphics card) and the i5 3.7 GHz (with an 8GB 580X) just about 260€.

Do you think that it is worth the difference? I was more than happy with the specs of my current 21.5". I just miss more screen and storage. And I have to say that I really appreciate the zero noise and cool temperatures of my current model.

Thank you.

Reactions: hfg

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi.

As I just bought the iPad, I decided to get the base 27" model, and save some money staying with the 256 GB SSD and upgrading RAM later.

I was perfectly happy with my 21.5 specs so it seems that I was just overthinking.

Thank you.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hi.

As I just bought the iPad, I decided to get the base 27" model, and save some money staying with the 256 GB SSD and upgrading RAM later.

I was perfectly happy with my 21.5 specs so it seems that I was just overthinking.

Thank you.

Sure. It’s all workflow dependent anyway. GPU might be a tiny let-down for some games. Regarding the SSD though that’s an easy fix. You can always and easily get very fast external storage.
eGPU also exists but there are some limitations depending on their use and how the software is developed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.