Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
I just called my AT&T and was told that:

"We're only taking direct fulfillment orders, 'walk-in' customers will have to wait 3-4 weeks before we get enough stock to sell to them."

I don't know if the guy was feeding me a line or what, but 3-4 weeks?! What the hell was the 4 week wait from June 9 - Jul y 11th for? Were the factories dead? Why make such a hullabaloo about launching worldwide when local demands can't even be met?

I am really amazed that Apple can load up their stores with 1000+ iPhones but give each AT&T store only 20 or 40 or whatever, when many people either don't have Apple stores in their area or cannot buy from Apple due to business/family restrictions (my case). This is extremely disappointing from Apple.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I just called my AT&T and was told that:

"We're only taking direct fulfillment orders, 'walk-in' customers will have to wait 3-4 weeks before we get enough stock to sell to them."

I don't know if the guy was feeding me a line or what, but 3-4 weeks?! What the hell was the 4 week wait from June 9 - Jul y 11th for? Were the factories dead? Why make such a hullabaloo about launching worldwide when local demands can't even be met?

I am really amazed that Apple can load up their stores with 1000+ iPhones but give each AT&T store only 20 or 40 or whatever, when many people either don't have Apple stores in their area or cannot buy from Apple due to business/family restrictions (my case). This is extremely disappointing from Apple.
I feel ya. I tried all day today and yesterday. I'm getting sick of trying to get one. I have been out very early both days. I think I'm just gonna get the direct fullfillment....

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Did you ever think that maybe you should have gone in early yesterday morning since you knew it was going to be such a popular device? Everything this 'hot' always sells out quick and there's never enough time for the manufacturer to prepare/ get enough out to each store.

You should have been smart and went in yesterday. Why not do one of the fulfillment orders? He just said walk-in customers would have to wait 3-4weeks.

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
lets see....

i went to the at&t store at 6 in the morning (mind you its in san bernardino)
at 6 in the morning there was 18 people in front of me.

as soon as they opened the doors 10 people went in there and then as soon as it was my turn they sold out.

so i ended up going to the victoria gardens apple store and waiting in line (got there at 9am) there was probably 300 people in front of me. waited for about 5 hours and finally got two of them. there was still 300 people in line when i left at 4pm.

i would suggest trying your luck at an apple store dude :p

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
Did you ever think that maybe you should have gone in early yesterday morning since you knew it was going to be such a popular device? Everything this 'hot' always sells out quick and there's never enough time for the manufacturer to prepare/ get enough out to each store.

You should have been smart and went in yesterday. Why not do one of the fulfillment orders? He just said walk-in customers would have to wait 3-4weeks.

I did! Even though I said I wasn't going to go until the afternoon I went at like 5am! I was #22 in line, but they only had like 20 phones. Look, I'm not going to wait in line for 10 hours just for a damn phone, it's not that important, but Apple obviously knew what the demand was and should've allocated phones properly.

I guess I will have to do a direct fulfillment. I don't trust AT&T at all and would not be surprised if they botched this up somehow, or if I was made to wait 3-4 weeks anyway. :(

i would suggest trying your luck at an apple store dude :p

No, I'm eligible for discounts and there are other phones that need to be upgraded (not to iPhones) on my plan, so I have to go to an AT&T store. :\

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I did! Even though I said I wasn't going to go until the afternoon I went at like 5am! I was #22 in line, but they only had like 20 phones. Look, I'm not going to wait in line for 10 hours just for a damn phone, it's not that important, but Apple obviously knew what the demand was and should've allocated phones properly.

I guess I will have to do a direct fulfillment. I don't trust AT&T at all and would not be surprised if they botched this up somehow, or if I was made to wait 3-4 weeks anyway. :(

That's the thing, though. Apple made as many phone as they can and no company ever has enough time to make enough for something this high in demand. If you didn't want to wait in a 10 hour line that's your fault, you could have easily had one then.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
No, I'm eligible for discounts and there are other phones that need to be upgraded (not to iPhones) on my plan, so I have to go to an AT&T store. :\

Take off your FAN number, go to an Apple store, buy the iPhone, re-add your FAN number, then go to the ATT store for non-iPhone related help.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
That's the thing, though. Apple made as many phone as they can and no company ever has enough time to make enough for something this high in demand. If you didn't want to wait in a 10 hour line that's your fault, you could have easily had one then.

You're blaming me? I should not have to wait 10 hours in line for anything, sorry. Apple knows the demand for their products, they did not have to launch in 22 countries all on the same day if they knew there were going to be shortages.

Take off your FAN number, go to an Apple store, buy the iPhone, re-add your FAN number, then go to the ATT store for non-iPhone related help.

I have a family plan, if they upgrade my line, will the other lines be upgraded too? (I am not the main line) The other people on my plan want new phones too (not iPhones) but I'm afraid that it will turn into a mess if I go to Apple and ask for an iPhone and then go back to AT&T and get the other phones? Has anyone done this?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Take off the discount.

Get your iPhone.

Re-apply the discount (1-2 billing cycles it will be reapplied)

At this point, all you've done is upgraded your line and nothing is preventing you from going to ATT and getting your other family members newer phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.