Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
These USB adapters have their own GPU, not a very fast one though.

The reason why these solutions won't support flawless video playback or a non choppy desktop behaviour is due to the limitations of the USB interface.

USB 2.0 has a maximum throughput of 480Mbit/s. Single link DVI already makes 3.96Gbit/s.

USB 3.0 would be more than sufficient for this (4.8Gbit/s) so we might see very capable USB solutions for additional displays in the future (at least for displays <= 1920x1200).

What is an average bitrate of 1080p movie? I guess it's around 10Mbit/s? HDMI has maximum of 10.2Gbit/s so USB is nowhere near real display connectors.

I really hope LightPeak is the future. It could be used everywhere! In displays, HDs, speakers etc...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
These USB adapters have their own GPU, not a very fast one though.

The reason why these solutions won't support flawless video playback or a non choppy desktop behaviour is due to the limitations of the USB interface.

USB 2.0 has a maximum throughput of 480Mbit/s. Single link DVI already makes 3.96Gbit/s.

USB 3.0 would be more than sufficient for this (4.8Gbit/s) so we might see very capable USB solutions for additional displays in the future (at least for displays <= 1920x1200).

yes having a faster data link would fix it - but is the link even the problem? how do we know that it isnt with the actual GPU device itself?

hellhammer: average bitrate is 40mb/s of 1080P. or 5MB/s. pretty sure thats nothiing compared to the ~40MB/s USB 2.0 can currently do.

i also cannot wait for LP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.