Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I have 16 movies on my iPhone; 3 of them are grayed out. I am unable to select them for viewing and I also cannot slide to delete them. I tried unsyncing movies through iTunes and they're all still there.

Why are these movies grayed out? They are in the correct format for iTunes to recognize them.

Edit: I called Apple and got nowhere. I left it alone and looked a few days later and saw they went away on their own.

Last edited:

nmork

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Under your bed.
Generally items that are greyed out on the iDevice itself are items you have set to sync, but haven't actually been copied from the device.

Try unsyncing (and removing from the device) all of your movies and re-syncing them via USB.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I have unsynced all movies, deleted them all from iTunes. I then readded them to iTunes and resynced my iPhone and the movies that were grayed out were duplicated; there is now a working copy along with the grayed out one

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Bump...anyone know how to get rid of these 3 movies? I have un-synced all movies from my device and these three are still here and grayed out.

1. Bumping is not allowed on these forums
2. Try to re-start your iPhone - it could be a simple glitch
3. 16 movies... really? (Don't worry I'm not judging... I just can't imagine the free time)

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
1. Bumping is not allowed on these forums
2. Try to re-start your iPhone - it could be a simple glitch
3. 16 movies... really? (Don't worry I'm not judging... I just can't imagine the free time)

1. Neither is backseat moderating :p
2. Already have.
3. Never did I say I planned to watch them all at once; I have a 64GB phone with 40GB I don't know what to do with. Don't make assumptions.

You might need to backup/restore your phone.
I am saving that for a last resort, thanks though.

Last edited:

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I'm having the same problem. I tried putting a movie on my iPhone and it never completed the transfer. Yet it appears on my iPhone, grayed out and unable to either play or delete. Even worse, I can't put any new movies on my phone. They just don't transfer. That file is causing some sort of glitch whenever I go to sync.

Also, I've had similar problems in the past but some times it is reversed. I've seen movies (and songs) never show up in my iPhone/iPad at all and yet show up grayed out on the device when Im in iTunes, as if iTunes is seeing some sort of dead file that I can't see from the device itself.

I've read that a good way of dealing with this is to delete those files directly with a program such as iExplorer, which supposedly allows you to access the file structure of your iOS devices. These files have been knicknamed "zombie files" by some people, and I think it's fitting.

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

I'm not home right now because I'm traveling. When I get home Thursday I'm going to try this and I'll let you know how helpful it was.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.