Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jyby

Suspended
Original poster
May 31, 2011
So Apple decided to introduce continuity with Photos.

But did they forget that iPhoto is already on both platforms?

And how will Aperture react to Yosemite?

me43

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
I would imagine that Photos will essentially be a replacement for iPhotos while Aperture will continue to be the professional photo program.

The new photo editing tools in the photos app in iOS probably will replace the iPhoto iOS app.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
iPhoto has been the neglected stepchild for many years now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it put out to pasture when Photos comes. Aperture may become the new neglected stepchild; it already seems to lag behind Lightroom.

I certainly hope the final version of Photos is much more than the iOS port we saw briefly today. At a minimum, it needs to share libraries like iPhoto and Aperture can; I like that I can organize in iPhoto while doing more serious editing in Aperture. I'd also prefer to keep the event-driven organization of iPhoto, rather than the Years / Collections / Moments junk. Smart albums are a must. Geo-tagging, keywords, more...

Of course, there is so much room for improvement in what iPhoto currently does, but I wouldn't expect an all-new app to even implement half of it, let alone improve on it. If Photos v1 can have most or all of the above implemented and usable, maybe it won't be half bad. But I'd be surprised. :rolleyes:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Is iPhoto app part of iLife suite? If so, I doubt Apple will ever replace it and Apple might want to keep both for the sake of novice and pro users and pricing. :apple:

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Is iPhoto app part of iLife suite? If so, I doubt Apple will ever replace it and Apple might want to keep both for the sake of novice and pro users and pricing. :apple:

I'm sure iPhoto feature will be reworked for the new iOS featured, Photos app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.