Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I was looking at apple website a saw that the Only remaining macs left to be upgraded or discontuned are the : PowerMac G5, Xserve G5 and the eMac G4

When is apple going to discontune the eMac.

I Know the Powermac and xServe wont be upgraded till intel bring out there woodchest proccesers.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i doubt the eMac will be discontinued until LCDs are as cheap as CRTs - the eMacs are great for education, and quite secure (nobody's going to chuck one in their bag - have you tried to lift one?), so methinks they'll make it through the intel transition alive.

the PowerMac and xServe will transition at roughly the same time, just after woodcrest arrives.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
thegreatluke said:
Not for the education market.

They're still available in bulk orders for education.

But the education market are not so (very little) concern for high performance....if they are they should buy PowerMac's (Mac Pro's) or iMac's ;)

menziep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Wasnt the eMac a good deal for first timers
a lot of people on MR Have or used to have a eMac

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think the eMac should make it to intel, however there is not much room for it. Perhaps a Core Duo 1.66Ghz Dedicated 64Mbs at 1099, 15'' LCD, iLamp like lok

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
If they did that it would cut into Mac Mini sales, even if it's education only. You can still lie and get it. :eek: Price is way to high, $1099 can get almost get you an iMac in the education section. ;)

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Problem with transitioning a machine like an eMac for schools is that many schools like to use classic to run their ancient apps because they haven't been brought to OSX, so if it gets transitioned to intel, they can't run classic and are kinda screwed.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
FF_productions said:
Problem with transitioning a machine like an eMac for schools is that many schools like to use classic to run their ancient apps because they haven't been brought to OSX, so if it gets transitioned to intel, they can't run classic and are kinda screwed.

Well Apple's not going to keep the eMac PPC for people to cheap to upgrade the Apps from a OS that died 5 years ago. People who will not upgrade there Software will not stop Apple from upgrading there whole line to x86

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
SuperSnake2012 said:
If they did that it would cut into Mac Mini sales, even if it's education only. You can still lie and get it. :eek: Price is way to high, $1099 can get almost get you an iMac in the education section. ;)

OK try 999, it might cut into the Mac Mini sales but Apple would be making more $$ from the eMac so its ok.. and you can't lie to be a person buying Macs for a School

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
SuperSnake2012 said:
May I ask where you got $1099?

eMacs are $799.

I understand why they dropped it from the normal store, but eMacs are important for the education market. Mac minis would be way too easily stolen and eMacs are a lot easier to upgrade.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
thegreatluke said:
May I ask where you got $1099?

eMacs are $799.

I understand why they dropped it from the normal store, but eMacs are important for the education market. Mac minis would be way too easily stolen and eMacs are a lot easier to upgrade.

i was suggesting that for the new eMac price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.