Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bernisheart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Hi everybody!

I had a Xserve and now I've bought two new ones. I want to setup a cluster with them, but the network isn't not working.
I have an access point with an fixed IP address. What's the way to connect the machines?

Nowadays I have the access point connected to the first port of the switch and all the xserves connected via ethernet (en0) to the switch too.

The first server is working well (it was set up before with a fixed ip) but the two new one servers are not able to connect. Is it necessary to mount a DHCP server? The topology is right?

Thank you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I want to setup a cluster with them.

What is it you really want to do? "cluster" is a technical term. Can you describe the problem you are trying to solve and why you want three xserves. The best thing here is to back up and look at the big picture.

Yes you do have to assign each machine an IP address. I would NOT use DHCP to assign IPs to any kind of servers, not if you only have three of them.

bernisheart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Forget the cluster, my main problem is that the network isn't not working. The server with fixed IP is working but the network settings in the network diagnostics tool are bringing trouble.

Maybe they aren't properly wired, but with all connected to the switch should work, isn't it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.