Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Macosrumors stated that "If you think the 23-inch Cinema HD Display is big, try a 30-inch model! Apple is planning extremely large displays with this resolution and perhaps even an enhanced one in the 30-inch version. It could be up to a year before we see the two monster screens Apple is working on, but the first of them might come at any time. In the near term, widescreen 17 and perhaps 19-inch displays are due in advance of the holidays."

I dont take much of what they say seriously, but a 30 widescreen would be something to look at.
They also mention a new digital-lifestyle device "several new Macs and at least one new Digital Lifestyle device will feature 800Mbps FW" and "Expect a whole lot more software and hardware hitting the market not only from Apple but from third parties as well based on the new Rendezvous auto-configuration technology that was introduced with OS X 10.2 Jaguar. The new Digital Lifestyle devices are said to enable several nifty new features of this technology including automatic file exhange between the device and computer(s) "subscribed" to the device"

what do you guys imagine the new device could be?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think 30" would be pushing plasma screen... and i just can't see there being a market for it, especially at the $5,000-$10,000 it would probably retail for, depending on res.

as for the new digital device, i'm actually starting to get optimistic about the iPhone... tho how Apple would make it revolutionary, or "reinvent" it, i don't know. and they'd have to do just that to get it in the market... and before you say "they'd combine a PDA into it", see Motorola Communcator.

god help us all if this turns into *another* PDA thread, tho.

now if the iPhone doesn't happen, and i think time is running a bit short for apple... and that little PDA-mini-portable-duo thing doesn't happen... i don't think we'll see a new digital lifestyle device. i think apple would blend their computers into the home theatre market before they do another set-top box, i think set-tops are on the way out...

:)
pnw

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
if this new device is an iPhone or something, Apple might make it a full on multimedia phone, colour screen and the works, and they could also make it way smaller than any of the competitors phones. i reckon that would be the only way that they could get into the phone market.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Do we really need a smaller phone? Some are so small that they're difficult to hold now. I'd like to see one that turns off the car's engine as soon as you start to dial. :D

I still think they need to make a QuickTime device to play movies and music on the run. If it also has organising capabilities, all the better. Wireless communications would be a necessity, however.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
30'' would suck... the resolution just wouldnt be there. Just for example: Samsung makes a 30'' LCD TV that can be used as a computer monitor, but its max resolution is 1024x768. A 30'' with good resolution would cost a frickin fortune... 10 thousand or more

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
30 inches ?!?!?! My god. Nobody would buy that. Not because it isn't cool, but because it would be too expensive. That would be a bad move for apple.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
heh, Apple can barely offer a 17" for $1000 ....
although- if they did make a 30"- I see myself making more trips to the Apple store, if only to stare and gaze. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If by the the time a 30" is introduced LCD prices are down r/t increased production I would make a purchase! :)

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
sharp sells a 30" hdtv. if you could hook the machine up to something like that, and have it broadcast at the right resolution, it may look okay. lets hope that if this does happen, it's not a plasma. they're cool, but the picture really sucks as if many of the people here hasn't seen one in an electronics store, or anything :) )

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
whoa!

if anything i think this:

http://www.orange.com/English/communicate/spvfeatures.asp?bhcp=1

would goad apple into the portable/phone market..... i hate to say it, but this is pretty sweet, if osx was on this... holy crap!!! we all know apple could make a far cooler device... it's still a stretch though...

and it could explain the partnership with sony ericsson
we get quite a few unreleased phones from sony ericsson to do product debut CD-Roms and such.... it's amazing how apple-like some of them are looking...

technocoy
:D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
anything but that monitor. I think that would be a baaaaaaaaaaad move for apple. Unless they could manage to have it be really inexpensive, nobody will buy it. Sure, it is a huge monitor, but is it affordable to the average consumer (probably not :rolleyes: ).

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by scem0
30 inches ?!?!?! My god. Nobody would buy that. Not because it isn't cool, but because it would be too expensive. That would be a bad move for apple.

not only that, but there is a limit to where bigger is NOT better. a 30 inch screen placed 2 feet in front of you doesn't seem to make much sense.

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
Wow, 30 inch display. Seems a bit much, especially with the economy being like it is right now, but it might be better by the time they would release this. I think 30 inches is to big for a computer display, sure it would be nice, but the price would probably be a too much, not to mention having a 30 inch monitor 2 feet in front of you seems a bit much. I would probably want one, being the gadget-geek that I am, always wanting new things.

As for the "a new digital lifestyle device", I would like to see some portable video drive. It would need to have composite RCA outs, for hook up to a TV or something (or an adapter). I do a number of videos for my church, and it would be much easier to just load the video onto this device, take it to church and hook it up, and be good to go. Would cut down on using Mini-DV tapes, and would even be cheaper than DVD's (with current prices anyway). This is the only thing I could see needing 800mbps FW.

I really would like to see this as a separate device from the iPod, because it would need a larger screen, color screen, and would probably drain a battery pretty quickly, so you wouldn't be able to use it so much for music. The device itself would probably need to be larger, so I'd rather see the iPod stay the size it is now, and just create a new device.

Of course, none of this will ever happen, but I do still like this idea, as well as seeing an Apple PDA (although with the PDA market being what it is, I would rather see Apple stick with media devices). Although I'm sure an Apple PDA would be one nice media device. I can almost see iCal and iSync as aluding to a PDA like device, but who knows.

-Natron

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Inhale420

not only that, but there is a limit to where bigger is NOT better. a 30 inch screen placed 2 feet in front of you doesn't seem to make much sense.

Exactly. I mean, how many of these could they possible sell? And imagine the costs of making one. There would (most probably) be a whole bunch of dead pixels...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
30"

Ok, this is the dynamic of the buyer:
-Oh, cool, I have the money but.... I can buy 2 of 19" or 2 of" 17" for that price. Of course I would need an special accesory to run a secund LCD accessory.

Some people are gonna buy that thing, there is a market for ir, but, just imagine the time spend closing the lots of windows.

I would buy one of those, would be like buying another computer. Now, I do not have the money for it, I may never have but there are companies with the resources to do it.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I think there is definitely a market that would buy these things, I mean some people do pay $15,000 for a TV right, and I think there are plenty of labs and such that use Apple's and could use a 30" screen. And as far as the current economy goes, this is rumored to be a year or more away so that isnt really an issue either, they also stated that it would have the same resoulion as the 23" one now. The digital lifestyle device is a tough one though, there are so many rumors about PDA's and phones that's it's almost impossible to say.
Personally if it was one of those two I think it would be the phone, Jobs has stated before that PDA's may be ancient and pointless now and "one day you won't even think about using a (cell?) phone without a computer...)

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
If Apple does decide to release a 30” display, it would more then likely be aimed at the video or research markets, instead of the consumer market!!

But there are people how love to live lavish, so someone will purchase it!!!! ;) ;) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.