Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I fixed permissions for the first time on my MBP 15" 2.4 160/7200 HDD and a couple of minor fixes were made. As as afterthought I ran verify disk and it failed. The error messages read:

Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Invalid volume free block count
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

I'm concerned and p****d that my brand-new MBP has a hardware problem. Should I just run the repair utility and relax or might this be a foreshadowing of bigger problems to come?

I have 108 GB available and nothing funky running at startup or in the background.

Thank you
Dave

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It's not a hardware problem (at least most likely not). Disk Utility is reporting a problem with the logical catalog of what is on the drive.
The reason you have an error on exit is that you cannot repair a drive while you are booted from it.

Restart the machine with the OSX DVD in, respond to the language question, and then go to Disk Utility from the Utilities menu on the menubar (instead of proceeding into the install). Run a Repair Disk from there, and it will probably fix it right then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.