Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one is better?

• 30" Dell LCD Display

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • 30" Apple Cinema Display

Votes: 93 60.8%

• Total voters

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I just want to point out to those people who keep mentioning that the Dell doesnt have FireWire is that the trade off is from FireWire is you get 4 USB ports. So in general you aren't really losing anything when you go Dell. You just have 4 USB ports instead of Apple's 2 USB and 2 FireWire. Not to mention you also get a card reader with Dell. ;)

In my opinion if you plan on only using the monitor for ONE system, and ONLY as a monitor for your computer, then an Apple will suffice just fine. The sexiness of Apple's 30'' cinema definately gives it an edge over the plastic of the Dell.

However for the bang of the buck, and if you are on a tight budget, the Dell certainly is not a bad choice. For me personally, if I can get either or, I would still get the Dell. Simply because I myself use my 2005FPW as an overall entertainment center. I have my Dell monitor hooked up to my PowerBook, PS2, Xbox360, and a TV Tuner card. If this wont be the case for you, then there certainly isnt much of a reason to go this way.

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
is there any such thing as a budget when you're in the market for a 30'' cinema display? :)

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
exactly...

waynesun said:
is there any such thing as a budget when you're in the market for a 30'' cinema display? :)

isn't this like comparing a timex with a rolex.
or cheap sunglasses vs. oakleys
or a VW vs. an Audi
or a Toyota vs a Lexus.

The Apple is better. Period.
Is that betterness (quality, appearance, etc) worth the price? That should be the question. And it appears that it is.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Play Ultimate said:
or a VW vs. an Audi
or a Toyota vs a Lexus.

Is that betterness (quality, appearance, etc) worth the price? That should be the question. And it appears that it is.

the lcd screens in both are made by a korean company (lg). i'll bet they were both assembled in china by the same factory. the apple display costs $2499 whereas the dell is $2199. so in what way is the apple better other than costing more? of course when you're talking about 30" displays, it's more like infiniti vs. lexus.

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
30" Cinema,,,,

30-inch (29.7-inch viewable)
2560 x 1600 optimal resolution
DVI Display Connector
16.7 million colors
Response time 14MS
Brightness 270 cd/m2
2 port USB 2.0 Hub
2 FireWire 400 ports
Contrast ratio 400:1

30" Dell,,,,,

30-inch (30-inch viewable)
DVI Display Connector with HDCP
16.7 million colors
Response time 11MS (grey to grey) 14MS (black to black)
Brightness 400 cd/m2
4 port USB 2.0 Hub
Contrast ratio 700:1
9-in-2 Media Card Reader
Kensington security port

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
While the Cinema Display is stunning, i would feel more comftable with a big Dell.

Too many problems (in relation to other displays )with Apple monitors, although the 30" Apple seems more relaible than the other 2 Apple monitors.

3 year warranty on the Dell's is also a big selling point.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I've seen both and while I will say the Apple display is unbelievably sexy, I would vote Dell. The price is much more affordable and I've always used Dell displays and never had a problem. I use a Powerbook 12" and just using my 15" LCD is a breath of fresh air. Would I purchase an Apple display if I could afford it? Heck yeah!! Would I recommend it as the better buy? No. Sexy or not, there isn't enough bang for that rather large buck. Just my opinion.

oaksteez SM

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2006
get the Dell. forget about getting an expensive ACD that costs more. SAVE MONEY and TIME!!!! I got the DELL 2005FPW..and I'm loving it!..great monitor comes with three warranty too!

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE WHO BUY THINGS CAUSE IT LOOKS GOOD OR THEY SAY "EVERYONE HAS IT.AND ITS BEAUTIFUL." SO THEY BUY THE DARN THING...JUST BUY A ETCH A SKETCH!!!!1

so..you make the decision mang!

oaksteez SM

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2006
Play Ultimate said:
or a VW vs. an Audi
or a Toyota vs a Lexus.

THIS IS SO STUPID! apple ?quality!?!! you have they're ipods messing up countless of times..the ACDs are great, if you're can afford it.
I would drive a TOYOTA rather than a LEXUS.. and oakleys are grabage!
i rather be wearing a TIMEX, cause someone is going to rob you for your rolex! APPEARANCE! people think they work better and efficient if a good looking display is in front of them!???! if people think that way..they have issues..insecurities..

PEOPLE ..."IMAGE" is nothing!!

chris y.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
los angeles, ca
I guess it depends on where your located...because in LA image is a pretty big deal. Advertising isnt a multi-billion dollar industry because image is nothing.

Anyways I agree with most of the people here...and I would only recommend the apple if you disregard price and place priority on the intangibles. When I got my ACD (back in Sept.) I got it because I just loved using it at the apple store and now I can have that experience at home.

If all your looking for in a monitor is being able to do functions like browse the web, read emails, edit photos, and watch the occasional movie, I think the dell would do that job just fine.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Dell 30" for $1499.. Canadian!

Psst!

Dell 30" 3007FPW is on sale today at the Canadian site, for $1499... :eek:

Look for the "12 Days of Deals" special.

If only I had a dual-link capable card... *drool*

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
okay thanks for all the replies.

I want to get two of them and have a dual screen setup, where I have them side by side. How much is the edge distance from the screen to outside of the casing? If put side by side how much distance would i have from edge of screeen to edge of screen? Sometimes I would spread the display over two screens to get a much larger scaled view. It seems that the Aplle display would be much closer. Can someone give me these measurements for both?

I also want to hang them up on the wall. Can I do this with both models?

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
Are the hardware requirements still the same for the Dell monitor, i.e. the dual card that the G5 PowerMacs first had as an optional extra ?

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Cadkiller said:
okay thanks for all the replies.

I want to get two of them and have a dual screen setup, where I have them side by side. How much is the edge distance from the screen to outside of the casing? If put side by side how much distance would i have from edge of screeen to edge of screen? Sometimes I would spread the display over two screens to get a much larger scaled view. It seems that the Aplle display would be much closer. Can someone give me these measurements for both?

I also want to hang them up on the wall. Can I do this with both models?

I think the edge on the Apple is thinner than the Dell.

Both can be fixed to a wall.

if you are going to do this PLEASE BUY A DECENT BRACKET AND GET IT INSTALLED BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

Having your very expensive monitor fall off the wall would not make your day!

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
Talking of accidents, friend of mine who worked as a service tech told me that every so often they got calls to inquire how one cleaned particularly stubbon stains from an LCD (esp. laptops). Seems that some users had been a little "careless" when holding their computer in close proximity whlst multi tasking. Thankfully, no pictures !

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
No matta the price, I would go for Apple. Though the Dell might look better on specs at first, the apple is way cooler, and also better quality in general. Have you seen how thick these Dell Crap thigs are?:eek:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
6163621 said:
Talking of accidents, friend of mine who worked as a service tech told me that every so often they got calls to inquire how one cleaned particularly stubbon stains from an LCD (esp. laptops). Seems that some users had been a little "careless" when holding their computer in close proximity whlst multi tasking. Thankfully, no pictures !

ER, is this "One Handed" multi tasking or am i just getting the very wrong end of the stick?

:eek:

oliver2

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2006
New specs for the Apple cinema display !!!

There are new tech specs for the 30":

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Brightness 400 cd/m2

Cadkiller said:
30" Cinema,,,,

30-inch (29.7-inch viewable)
DVI Display Connector
16.7 million colors
Response time 14MS
Brightness 270 cd/m2
2 port USB 2.0 Hub
2 FireWire 400 ports
Contrast ratio 400:1

30" Dell,,,,,

30-inch (30-inch viewable)
DVI Display Connector with HDCP
16.7 million colors
Response time 11MS (grey to grey) 14MS (black to black)
Brightness 400 cd/m2
4 port USB 2.0 Hub
9-in-2 Media Card Reader
Kensington security port

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
oliver2 said:
There are new tech specs for the 30":

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

Brightness 400 cd/m2

They should also update this if that is the case.

http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/L309968A_Display_TO.pdf

Technical Specifications
Following are the specifications for the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display, the 23-inch
Apple Cinema HD Display, and the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display.
Screen size
• 20-inch Apple Cinema Display: 20 inches (diagonal viewable)
• 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 23 inches (diagonal viewable)
• 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 30 inches (29.7 inches diagonal viewable)
Screen type
• Thin film transistor (TFT) active-matrix liquid crystal display
Resolutions
20-inch Apple Cinema Display
• 1680 by 1050 pixels (optimum resolution)
• 1280 by 800 pixels
• 1024 by 640 pixels
23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display
• 1920 by 1200 pixels (optimum resolution)
• 1280 by 800 pixels
• 1024 by 640 pixels
30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display
• 2560 by 1600 pixels (optimum resolution)
• 2048 by 1280 pixels
• 1920 by 1200 pixels
• 1280 by 800 pixels
• 1024 by 640 pixels
Display colors (maximum)
• 16.7 million
Viewing angle (typical)
• 170° horizontal; 170° vertical
Brightness (typical)
• 20-inch Apple Cinema Display: 250 cd/m2
• 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 270 cd/m2
• 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 270 cd/m2
Contrast ratio (typical)
• 400:1
Response time (typical)
• 16 ms
Pixel pitch
• 20-inch Apple Cinema Display: 0.258 mm
• 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 0.258 mm
• 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 0.250 mm
Screen treatment
• Antiglare hardcoat
User controls (hardware and software)
• Display power
• System sleep and wake
• Brightness
• Monitor tilt
Cable connectors
• DVI (Digital Visual Interface)
• FireWire 400
• USB 2.0
• DC power (24.5V)
Ports
• Two-port, self-powered USB 2.0 hub
• Two FireWire 400 ports
• Kensington security port
VESA mount
• Requires Cinema Display VESA Mount Adapter (M9649G/A, sold separately)
• Compatible with VESA FDMI (MIS-D, 100, C) compliant mounting solutions
Electrical requirements
• Input voltage: 100–240 VAC; 50–60Hz
• Maximum power when operating:
– 20-inch Apple Cinema Display: 65W
– 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 90W
– 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display: 150W
• Energy saver mode: 3W or less
Environmental requirements
• Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
• Storage temperature: –40° to 116° F (–40° to 47° C)
• Operating humidity: 20% to 80% noncondensing
• Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
If it's made so well then Apple should of had a 5 year warrenty instead of 1 year. If Dell gives their buyers 3 years warrenty and it is a piece of junk don't you think they would lose money fixing all of them.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Cadkiller said:
If it's made so well then Apple should of had a 5 year warrenty instead of 1 year. If Dell gives their buyers 3 years warrenty and it is a piece of junk don't you think they would lose money fixing all of them.

It's hard to judge quality just by warranty (after all doesn't Hyundai offer the best new car warranty out there?) Dell could very well be losing lots of money fixing issues on their displays, as well as taking huge cuts whenever their stuff goes on sale (like yesterday, when the 30" 3007FPW was on sale for $1499 Cdn -- that's like $1199 USD...) Dell seems to be a big enough company that they can take hits like that, and I think their goal is to saturate the market as much as possible with their stuff, regardless of quality issues.

That said, I own a 20" Dell display and I think it's great -- about the ONLY thing I can fault it for is its appearance, as it's not nearly as sleek as the Apple display would have been. But, it was half the price...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.