Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomver77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
hi, I'm new here. was looking around to see if anyone ever repurposed an old 30 inch cinemadisplay and turned it into a hackintosh. Seeing current displays have far less thickness it would be cool to replace the screen and fuse / insert the guts of an old / faulty MacBook.

Reactions: arn and satchmo

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
You could theoretically slap a Mac mini in there, but you likely won't have the space. It's not like the entire thing is empty. It's got a logic board and its own power supply. In true Apple fashion, most of the space is cleverly in use.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
You could theoretically slap a Mac mini in there, but you likely won't have the space. It's not like the entire thing is empty. It's got a logic board and its own power supply. In true Apple fashion, most of the space is cleverly in use.

Actually there's plenty of empty space inside.

T2HLrQXWWhQJhgDm.large

You could fit a Pi-sized board in there (there are x86 ones) that you could get macOS to boot on. Mac Mini motherboard might fit but I have my doubts it would close properly etc

tomver77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
A macmini, without the case is also very small. May even fit. Would be a cool home build let’s see if i can find a cheap 30 inch.

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
Actually there's plenty of empty space inside.

You could fit a Pi-sized board in there (there are x86 ones) that you could get macOS to boot on. Mac Mini motherboard might fit but I have my doubts it would close properly etc

I don't know where you got the idea there is plenty of space. You won't be able to fit a mini in there I guarantee you that. A Pi is likely possible but that's not much of a Hackintosh now is it.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I don't know where you got the idea there is plenty of space. You won't be able to fit a mini in there I guarantee you that. A Pi is likely possible but that's not much of a Hackintosh now is it.

Firstly did you even read my post where I said there are Pi based computers which are x86 based (meaning macOS/Windows compatible). These use Intel CPU's but resemble the Pi physical form factor.

Secondly I said in my post a Mac Mini motherboard MIGHT fit but that I doubted it would fit. It's like you didn't read my post at all.

Thirdly there is plenty of space above the logic board for another logic board. Your statement that Apple uses all the space efficiently is just factually wrong.

tomver77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
can some one messure the space size inside the display? And the macmini logicbaord? I can’t seem to find the exact dimensions to them. Trying to get my hand on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.