Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I searched google and this forum but came up with nothing. Does anyone have experience using a 30" monitor with the Macbook Air (9400m). I would be using the screen to have multiple documents open and occasionally for photoshop (nothing too fancy). Will the Air be able to handle that resolution with no problem? I know the specs say it works but does it actually work well or is it just for advertising? and I'll be able to have the Air's lid closed while using the monitor?

thank you

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
My Rev B MBA will work with a 24" at 1920x1200 resolution. But it does "flicker" often and sometimes has a 1-2 second "black-out." It's not the monitor because the MBA experiences this with 2 different monitors at that resolution, one Apple LED Cinema Display and a Dell VGA monitor.

The flickers and blackouts are annoying, but not disruptive. This is my biggest complain about my MBA.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I searched google and this forum but came up with nothing. Does anyone have experience using a 30" monitor with the Macbook Air (9400m). I would be using the screen to have multiple documents open and occasionally for photoshop (nothing too fancy). Will the Air be able to handle that resolution with no problem? I know the specs say it works but does it actually work well or is it just for advertising? and I'll be able to have the Air's lid closed while using the monitor?

thank you

Yes it works, but since the only available dual-link adapter is a POS [and expensive], you'll occasionally experience blackouts and distorted video which can be fixed by reconnecting the cable. Oh did I mention the adapter requires your only USB port? It does make one available on the adapter (so I guess it acts an extender), but I don't know how well the SuperDrive and other powered devices respond to the "extension" since the adapter also uses the power from the USB port on your computer. Just don't expect a spectacular experience… I mean you may luck out, and get a spanking good adapter that never gives you issues, but I've gotten my exchanged half dozen times and it just looks like they're all bad.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
thanks for your replies.. that's kinda disappointing, I think I'm going to hold off for a while

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.