Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I have the latest iPad Pro 10.5" and wonder about getting a 30W USB-C adapter for it. I understand that I will need a USB-C to Lightning cable as well.

Is there any downside to using this adapter with my iPad and also with my 2 phones (IP8 and IP XS).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the latest iPad Pro 10.5" and wonder about getting a 30W USB-C adapter for it. I understand that I will need a USB-C to Lightning cable as well.

Is there any downside to using this adapter with my iPad and also with my 2 phones (IP8 and IP XS).

I use one for my iPad Pro 10.5 and iPhone XS Max - no problems here.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
All three of the devices you mentioned support USB-C PD (power delivery). So they should all be able to take advantage of the faster charging speed offered by the 30W adapter. As a side note, the 30W adapter actually offers 4 different charging modes (different voltage and current combos). One of these is roughly equivalent to the 10W charging brick from older iPad models. So you can plug in any iDevice without any ill effects. Older iPhones and iPads will just utilize the slower charging speed instead.

Reactions: Aditya rathee

Aditya rathee

macrumors regular
May 1, 2019
India
All three of the devices you mentioned support USB-C PD (power delivery). So they should all be able to take advantage of the faster charging speed offered by the 30W adapter. As a side note, the 30W adapter actually offers 4 different charging modes (different voltage and current combos). One of these is roughly equivalent to the 10W charging brick from older iPad models. So you can plug in any iDevice without any ill effects. Older iPhones and iPads will just utilize the slower charging speed instead.
Can yu tell bro what charging mode will be used my latest 2019 ipad air 3
I mean should i buy 30w charger for it or is 18w good ??
Can new ipad air 3 make full use of 30w charger ??

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Can yu tell bro what charging mode will be used my latest 2019 ipad air 3
I mean should i buy 30w charger for it or is 18w good ??
Can new ipad air 3 make full use of 30w charger ??
I don't have an Air 3 so I can't say for sure. But a quick google search turned up some reddit threads that say it can fast charge. I don't know if it can take the full 30W or not. If you already have an 18W charger and the USB-C to Lightning cable, I'd probably just stick with that. I doubt you'd see enough benefit from the 30W charger to make it worth the extra money.

Reactions: Aditya rathee

Aditya rathee

macrumors regular
May 1, 2019
India
I don't have an Air 3 so I can't say for sure. But a quick google search turned up some reddit threads that say it can fast charge. I don't know if it can take the full 30W or not. If you already have an 18W charger and the USB-C to Lightning cable, I'd probably just stick with that. I doubt you'd see enough benefit from the 30W charger to make it worth the extra money.
I have 12 w stock charger that came in box with buy another one soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.