Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Most important ones:

abgx360gui (Xbox360 utility)
AIFF from PCM (for esoteric PCM audio files)
AnyToISO (again, for strange ISOs which I need to extract)
Aria Maestosa (MIDI app)
Audio Overload (app to playback arcade game music)
AudioMonitor (very simple and straightforward audio streams bridge)
basICColor Display (display calibration, I really hope they're gonna update this)
CueMix FX & others (MOTU audio interface software)
DVDAExplorer (app to extract high resolution audio tracks from DVD Audio *losslessly*)
Jumpcut (it saves a history of what's been in the clipboard, VERY handy)
kid3 (very straightforward software for mass-editing ID tags in audio files)
Max (audio conversion software)
MIDI Patchbay, MIDI keys, MIDI logger, Midi Pipe (MIDI tools)
OSx360 (make Xbox360 pads work on OSX)
Platypus (create standalone apps from various kind of scripts)
Prometeus (tool to manage Sony PSP's disk images)
TC Near Control Panel (TC Electronic audio interface software)
Transmission Remote GUI (to remotely control my NAS torrent client)
tsMuxerGUI (audio/video stream tool)
uTorrent
VideoGlide Capture (for my video capture card)
WBFS (Wii File System tool)
XLD (the best tool to convert audio files in Mac OS. Period.)

And this is excluding all the games I have and Steam and whatnot.

XLD 64bit: https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
XLD has been 64bit for over a year.

The problem is that it has three 32-bit plugins:
XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns/XLDAacOutput.bundle
XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns/XLDHEAACOutput.bundle
XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns/XLDTakDecoder.bundle/Contents/Resources/tak_decoder.exe.so

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The problem is that it has three 32-bit plugins:
XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns/XLDAacOutput.bundle
XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns/XLDHEAACOutput.bundle
XLD.app/Contents/PlugIns/XLDTakDecoder.bundle/Contents/Resources/tak_decoder.exe.so

how did you determine that those plugins are 32bit? either way, the last one is not there on my mac (& shouldn't be; it's exe!)... and the app runs 64bit, so those plugins won't work (but the app overall should).

if i'm missing something, point it out...

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
oh god, I'm afraid then that not even the ogg vorbis decoder I have (not included in the original download) is 64-bit... I'll have to pester (again) the author about this. I'm pretty sure he hates me with a passion at this point, LOL.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
how did you determine that those plugins are 32bit?

Howard Oakley's https://eclecticlight.co/32-bitcheck-archichect/

I was just reporting the output from that software. And I agree the tak decoder does look very suspect. My version of XLD is 20181019 (151.1)

Assuming that is from a real test with Catalina, then any 32-bit plugins do block a 64-bit app.

But, I must admit, I do not properly understand the relationship between a 64-bit app and its 32-bit plugins.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Howard Oakley's https://eclecticlight.co/32-bitcheck-archichect/

I was just reporting the output from that software. And I agree the tak decoder does look very suspect. My version of XLD is 20181019 (151.1)

Assuming that is from a real test with Catalina, then any 32-bit plugins do block a 64-bit app.

But, I must admit, I do not properly understand the relationship between a 64-bit app and its 32-bit plugins.

i would think that a 32bit plugin inside of a 64bit app would simply not be seen, accessed; for instance, there are 32bit components inside the current final cut pro, but the app runs (and shows as) 64bit.

but am not able to test this myself yet (am waiting for the public beta)...

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
In my XLD release only the TAK encoder is 32 bit, because it is a Windows application running via WINE. The developer of TAK never released a macOS version. The developer mentioned a Linux version and to open source TAK at one point but I don't know when this will happening or if. (Never tried TAK as a codec, because FLAC is more widespread and more useful) But why still use Max if there is XLD?

I'm confused about PCM to AIFF converter, AIFF is a container for PCM, isn't it? Also ffmpeg should handle those very well.

Video grabbing is also a topic for me, still searching for a way to do it easy and a quick.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I can't believe Steam hasn't been updated. I just launched it and got the warning about how this version won't work in future versions of Mac OS.

There must be something wrong with your Steam auto-update mechanism. The Steam client has been 64bit for almost a year now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/927845/steam_is_now_finally_64bit/
I have successfully been able to install it on a clean install of the first Catalina beta and it works just fine.
Update Steam manually.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Beyond drivers, which seem to be resolved, this is going to be problematic, as I don't feel strange that almost every mac user has a favourite app in 32bits. Even supported software could be lazy and late at taking every component to 64bits (Apple is being). And abandoned -but useful- apps could turn completely unusable.
Of course, there's the virtualisation way... It seems indirect and messy to me. Being prog. ignorant, I wonder if it's so difficult to develop a more specific way or program to keep using 32bits apps.
Apple made a much more incredible effort with "Rosetta"... and there's software to emulate 16bits DOS hardware... right now for your mac...
This is a question to skilled programmers:
So difficult to translate on the go, or manage a 32bit app on a 64bit system?
Really?
(I think Apple tries to hurry developers, but I bet there'll be a third party utility - if not Apple's- for 10.15 since day one).

Reasons for 64-bit
From the IT world, there is only so much time that you can spend doing new stuff. Maintenance of software can be about 80% of a programmer's life. I can understand Apple's decision to move to a 64-bit platform and there reasons they can't talk about right now like moving to a new CPU, new changes to the OS that will make 32-bit applications support more difficult. There is also the testing needed for the older software that can take a lot of time.

My Workaround
I have had success with Parallels and virtualizing an older Mac OS that works with 32-bit applications. I have not tried it with Games but I am able to keep an old copy of iTunes with old 32-bit iOS apps syncing to my old iPads. I figure this setup will work with new Macs until Apple decides to switch away from Intel processors.

Also have a Mac Mini 2012 that will always be using the older Mac OS. If the drives fail, I can replace the drives and restore from Time Machine. I can probably keep my 32-bit Apps running for at least the next 2 decades by having both a hardware solution and a virtualization solution.

Reactions: Shirasaki

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
There must be something wrong with your Steam auto-update mechanism. The Steam client has been 64bit for almost a year now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/927845/steam_is_now_finally_64bit/
I have successfully been able to install it on a clean install of the first Catalina beta and it works just fine.
Update Steam manually.

I agree. I noticed that also when I started Googling. I downloaded the dmg and installed over top of mine and so far I haven't seen the error message again. So strange.

BarbaricCo

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Most important ones:

abgx360gui (Xbox360 utility)
AIFF from PCM (for esoteric PCM audio files)
AnyToISO (again, for strange ISOs which I need to extract)
Aria Maestosa (MIDI app)
Audio Overload (app to playback arcade game music)
AudioMonitor (very simple and straightforward audio streams bridge)
basICColor Display (display calibration, I really hope they're gonna update this)
CueMix FX & others (MOTU audio interface software)
DVDAExplorer (app to extract high resolution audio tracks from DVD Audio *losslessly*)
Jumpcut (it saves a history of what's been in the clipboard, VERY handy)
kid3 (very straightforward software for mass-editing ID tags in audio files)
Max (audio conversion software)
MIDI Patchbay, MIDI keys, MIDI logger, Midi Pipe (MIDI tools)
OSx360 (make Xbox360 pads work on OSX)
Platypus (create standalone apps from various kind of scripts)
Prometeus (tool to manage Sony PSP's disk images)
TC Near Control Panel (TC Electronic audio interface software)
Transmission Remote GUI (to remotely control my NAS torrent client)
tsMuxerGUI (audio/video stream tool)
uTorrent
VideoGlide Capture (for my video capture card)
WBFS (Wii File System tool)

And this is excluding all the games I have and Steam and whatnot.
Anyone using computers for a little bit more than web browsing or working in a strictly controlled - all the latest - workflow environment has gazillions of those 32bit utilities. Plus one that a missing from MacOs usually runs fine in Wine/CrossOver.

I'll be O.K. with this if they offered whatever built in transitional solution but this is a hard cut hard to swallow.

And what about Lego Star Wars or Lego Batman? Will any Apple Arcade game compensate?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Anyone using computers for a little bit more than web browsing or working in a strictly controlled - all the latest - workflow environment has gazillions of those 32bit utilities. Plus one that a missing from MacOs usually runs fine in Wine/CrossOver.

I'll be O.K. with this if they offered whatever built in transitional solution but this is a hard cut hard to swallow.

And what about Lego Star Wars or Lego Batman? Will any Apple Arcade game compensate?

gazillions? i have a very few on each mac (some adobe support stuff, quicktime 7, inkserver, etc). if you do keep up-to-date, reasonably, it should not be too bad (not too great, but not too bad).

still, when the final public release hits, am sure lots of people will be breaking down, when they find old apps no longer work. then, a short time later, life will in fact go on...

BarbaricCo

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
gazillions? i have a very few on each mac (some adobe support stuff, quicktime 7, inkserver, etc). if you do keep up-to-date, reasonably, it should not be too bad (not too great, but not too bad).

still, when the final public release hits, am sure lots of people will be breaking down, when they find old apps no longer work. then, a short time later, life will in fact go on...
Yes, life will go on but I'm sure Mojave will be last installed os on many Macs :)

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes, life will go on but I'm sure Mojave will be last installed os on many Macs :)

just as others have stopped with 10.6, 10.7, 10.8... and so on. then, several years from now, a good-number of those people will be on new macs, and will (have to) move forward.

we survived os classic to os X, power pcs to intel, scsi to usb... we'll survive the transition to (only) 64bit.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I just checked, I am on 10.14.5 but prepping for Catalina install....the only two apps showing on my MacBook Pro as 32 bit are InkServer and quicklookd32. Since these are both Apple, I assume they get replaced or deleted on the Catalina upgrade or should I be doing something prior to a Catalina upgrade?

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
just as others have stopped with 10.6, 10.7, 10.8... and so on. then, several years from now, a good-number of those people will be on new macs, and will (have to) move forward.

we survived os classic to os X, power pcs to intel, scsi to usb... we'll survive the transition to (only) 64bit.
...Of course.
BUT the scenery is a little bit different. Apple App Store is selling -now- 32bit software, for example.
Yes, as always before, Mojave will be a milestone for many, and Apple will keep supporting it for a long time, I presume.
Is up to Apple to incorporate some or total compatibility in Mojave for some novelties (and unique version of Pages et al...)
Will Apple push people to Catalina?
(I think I'll stay on Mojave for long. I've paid for non replaceable software. But it's OK... Mojave reduct will be huge).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I just checked, I am on 10.14.5 but prepping for Catalina install....the only two apps showing on my MacBook Pro as 32 bit are InkServer and quicklookd32. Since these are both Apple, I assume they get replaced or deleted on the Catalina upgrade or should I be doing something prior to a Catalina upgrade?

Similar question - I have only a handful of 32-bit apps, and I plan on upgrading to Catalina. Should I delete these apps beforehand, or will Catalina just 'wipe them out' and I'll have the associated SSD space recovered, automatically?

The only 32-bit app that I'll need to find a workaround for is the Logitech Harmony set-up app. Bewildering that they haven't updated this, considering it still is the required tool to set up their current remotes.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Similar question - I have only a handful of 32-bit apps, and I plan on upgrading to Catalina. Should I delete these apps beforehand, or will Catalina just 'wipe them out' and I'll have the associated SSD space recovered, automatically?

I think Catalina will do nothing, just show you a forbidden sign in the application's icon.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Nothing will happen to the app, it'll still be in the same place. It just won't launch. So you'll have to delete manually if you want to free that space.

Reactions: adrianlondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.