Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have a mini running 24/7, with BOINC running world community grid projects. I just realized today that the 320m used in it supports CUDA. Are there any GPU-based humanitarian projects that I can tie the mini into? Will it bog down video decoding performance while running, or release resources when needed, like CPU-based crunching?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Running the video card will lag normal operations of your system such as opening windows, scrolling and such. However, crunching while you're sleeping (aka, overnight) is fine.

You'll need to install nVidia's CUDA toolkit + drivers + samples to make it work though. I run it with my 330M with BOINC. Only a few projects are compatible with the OS X + CUDA platform.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Running the video card will lag normal operations of your system such as opening windows, scrolling and such. However, crunching while you're sleeping (aka, overnight) is fine.

You'll need to install nVidia's CUDA toolkit + drivers + samples to make it work though. I run it with my 330M with BOINC. Only a few projects are compatible with the OS X + CUDA platform.

+1

Which projects do you guys support? I crunch for einstein@home (Team Canada). I have 2 dedicated (but old) systems and I'm going to dedicate another 2 systems after I move.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
One more note, there is a release feature. It's basically, if you're using your system, it'll stop GPU crunching. After the system has been idle for an x amount of minutes (3 minute is default), it'll restart GPU crunching.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I installed the drivers and Boic reports finding the GPU. What projects can I run on it now? I only found einstien@home, and I'm more interested in humanitarian causes, though I'm not exactly sure what einstien does, I don't think it's medical research or energy research.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How is this supposed to work?

Should Nvidia CUDA projects run as if they are a third core, or do they need both the GPU and CPU to run calculations? I see FightAIDS@home, Human proteme folding, and einstein on my list, but only the two fightaids projects are running.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Einstein wasn't giving me any cud a stuff, so I tried collate. I keep getting computation errors! What did I do wrong?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I installed the drivers and Boic reports finding the GPU. What projects can I run on it now? I only found einstien@home, and I'm more interested in humanitarian causes, though I'm not exactly sure what einstien does, I don't think it's medical research or energy research.

Collatz Conjecture uses CUDA. I haven't been able to get Einstein to run any projects on CUDA. MilkyWay@Home.

Here's a small list.

http://boincfaq.mundayweb.com/index.php?language=1&view=471

How is this supposed to work?

Should Nvidia CUDA projects run as if they are a third core, or do they need both the GPU and CPU to run calculations? I see FightAIDS@home, Human proteme folding, and einstein on my list, but only the two fightaids projects are running.

GPU is running as a (3rd) or whatever core after your CPU. It does use 0.01 CPU, which is basically nothing.

Einstein wasn't giving me any cud a stuff, so I tried collate. I keep getting computation errors! What did I do wrong?

There is an issue with one of the projects and CUDA. I don't remember which one. I think it is Colltaz Conjecture.

Lastly, no need to post 3 times. You can edit your original post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.