Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xrb936

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Hi guys, I am considering to buy myself a new MacBook Pro 16" as a Christmas gift, but I am stuck with the RAM and SDD selection. 32GB + 2TB and 64GB + 1TB currently has same price.

Some of my friends suggested me to go with 32GB + 2TB so I don't have to carry a portable hard drive every day.

But I am thinking about 64GB + 1TB personally because most likely I will not buy a new MacBook Pro in the next several years.

Any suggestions, please?
64+1.png

32+2.png

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
Hi guys, I am considering to buy myself a new MacBook Pro 16" as a Christmas gift, but I am stuck with the RAM and SDD selection. 32GB + 2TB and 64GB + 1TB currently has same price.

Some of my friends suggested me to go with 32GB + 2TB so I don't have to carry a portable hard drive every day.

But I am thinking about 64GB + 1TB personally because most likely I will not buy a new MacBook Pro in the next several years.

Any suggestions, please? View attachment 880139
View attachment 880138
I got 64GB + 1TB, my reason being, I CAN expand storage, I CAN’T expand ram ever... And 1TB is plenty... Can’t seem to think of a use case to keep that amount of files on the system drive.

xrb936

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I got 64GB + 1TB, my reason being, I CAN expand storage, I CAN’T expand ram ever... And 1TB is plenty... Can’t seem to think of a use case to keep that amount of files on the system drive.

Good point. Thanks.

miroki

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2018
How about 1T plus 32GB

is there any particular workflow that requires 64GB ram?

xrb936

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
How about 1T plus 32GB

is there any particular workflow that requires 64GB ram?

Personally I am running multiple virtual machines on my MacBook Pro.

And 64GB is always better for me because I may use is as long as possible until there is a new model with a brand new design or some significant changes.
[automerge]1575161656[/automerge]
Yes, you can always add an external SSD. Actually I'm using a Samsung's T5 velcroed...

How does it perform compared with build-in SSD?

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The built-in is much faster. About 1.700mb/s writing and 3.700mb/s reading.

The T5 runs at 480mb/s Writing and Reading. Wich is more than enough for storing files. The main SSD keeps the System, Apps and Caches.

You wont feel the difference while loading an photoshop file from the internal or the external SSD.

xrb936

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015

The T5 runs at 480mb/s Writing and Reading. Wich is more than enough for storing files. The main SSD keeps the System, Apps and Caches.

You wont feel the difference while loading an photoshop file from the internal or the external SSD.

Thank you for your reply.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Yes, you can always add an external SSD. Actually I'm using a Samsung's T5 velcroed...

I'm shopping for my 16" MBP now to replace my mid 2014 MBP which is now having what seems to be logic board issues. What was nice about that model was that it had the SD card slot so you could add storage in with that - I used a Transcend 256gb JetDrive lite. So with my new 16" I'm going to up the HD to 1TB. But I find something like this that could attach cleanlyintriguing and something to keep an eye on (but a 2019 model).

Jan Klosowski

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2020
Estonia

The answer is: more RAM. You can easily have as many TB of external storage as you want, but you cannot expand RAM. Also, 64gb is not too much, as many people say.

If you run many tabs in your browser + some other software and you want to share your screen in Teams without getting frozen in a middle of a presentation (as an example of a more complex situation), 64GB is very handy. Also, not enough RAM will make your computer "old" faster than CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.