Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
PA
360 pics & video viewed inside a VR headset is an extremely undeveloped and the highest potential market.

I've had the joy of using Insta360 1 and X3 cameras, taking vacation, skiing, family and random trip videos over the years. It's still mostly a niche product. The painpoint is light post processing work, that most users will shy away from.

However, when you skip the postprocessing work and just view your 360 videos or pics inside of a VR headset, it's the most immersive, emotion tugging, exciting way to relive your memories. And there's no freakin infrastructure for it. I currently have to download a forgotten app on the Oculus store to make it happen. It's crazy how this very-achievable tech is just going by the wayside.

I'm really hoping that there's some traction to this 360 + VR combo when Apple launches their headset. It's just too good and too simple not to enjoy. And then there's obviously a whole world of possibilities of how this can be deployed in the commercial world.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Do you own a VR headset? You haven’t really unlocked the true potential of 360 video if you haven’t viewed it on a VR headset….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.