Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmr04

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
No. i tried it using a my external USB drive.

No. It doesn't say anything about .avi and it's definitely not working. Yeah unfortunately you'll have to convert it to either WMV or H.264.

I think I've read that it will support .mp4 as well.

These codecs change so fast it just messes you up.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
youre getting your codecs and containers mixed up.

MP4 is a container and can be used to contain h264 encoded videos. These will work on the 360.

However, the .Avi container will not work on the 360, even if the video is encoded with H264.

From what I gather, it will play movies with mp4 or m4v extensions.

gmr04

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006

MP4 is a container and can be used to contain h264 encoded videos. These will work on the 360.

However, the .Mov or .Avi containers will not work on the 360, even if the video is encoded with H264.

Yeah, I've never been an expert in video. All I know how to do is transcode via vlc on my roommates computer, then send the file back to mine in .wmv.

bluewire

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
I'm not touching this update with a 10 foot pole until Connect360 announces compatability. But I will be so excited to be able to dump all my .wmv duplicates for just one .mp4 copy when everything is in working order.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I regretted for installing the update but then again, what can I do if I want to play GOW online?

EDIT: May 9th, 2007

Connect 360 spring 2007 dashboard update

We're working on it, keep checking back for news!

gmr04

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006

However, the .Avi container will not work on the 360, even if the video is encoded with H264.

I found a good faq from xbox regarding the video codecs and containers. It explains it pretty well. From what I gather, if you have a h.264 movie in an .avi container, you may be able to use quicktime pro to extract the movie and audio (so long as the audio matches the requirements too).

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/05/09/spring-07-video-playback-faq.aspx

I haven't tried it, but I imagine you can extract these and save as .mov, as this format is compatible with the new update.

I'll be trying this soon and will post my results.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
I just wish it'll allow me to stop auto signing to messenger each time. This messenger integration is good in some ways but I need a way to disable it.

EDIT: Found out a way to do it already.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Connect 360 Updated! it now streams everything which is EXCELLENT. Now I love my 360 dashboard spring update again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.