Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/06/xbox-360s-virtua-fighter-5-to-feature-online-play/

Awesome awesome awesome!!! :D
Sega of America and Sega Europe have announced that the upcoming Xbox 360 version of Virtua Fighter 5 will indeed allow you to transfer your violent impulses to a complete stranger on the internet. Scheduled for a release in Autumn 2007, the game will feature an online two-player versus mode via Xbox Live, leader boards and several other enhancements over February's PlayStation 3 edition. That's what we jokingly refer to as a "technical knockout."

If you don't usually extract satisfaction from pugilistic polygons, you might be wondering why Virtua Fighter 5 is held in such high regard. Well, the reason is... uh, there are lot of reasons! Very good ones, in fact. "For a lot of very good reasons, Virtua Fighter 5 is regarded as the deepest and most revered fighting game available on next generation consoles", says Gary Knight, the European marketing director for Sega Europe. "Bringing Virtua Fighter 5 to the Xbox 360 will not only capture an entirely new audience, but will allow gamers to show their Virtua Fighter skills online against friends and foes."

Your Virtua Fighters: let me show you them.

[Via Gamertag Radio]

You will all feel the pain of Sarah and Wolf!
Man oh man I can't wait!!!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What is with 360 versions of multiformat games getting the better hand?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
What is with 360 versions of multiformat games getting the better hand?

It could be a multitude of things.

• Developers have had longer with the X360
  • M$ is Bribing them with $$
  • M$ is bribing them with $$$
  • M$ is bribing them with $$$$
  • M$ requires some sort of Live on all games
  • Developers have had longer with XBL and probably have pre-written integration code

All could be valid but M$ has a reputation for Bribing companies.

Ed

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Well, in a few areas I think the 360 excels over the Ps3.

-The Xenon cpu design is easier to program than Cell.

-Live has been 'live' (no pun intended) since 11/02...nearly 5 years; PSN is still in infancy.

-360 installed userbase is larger, obviously because it launched a year earlier, but I also think because of price

I don't agree with that. MS is suspicious of bribing no more than Sony is IMO. Other than paying for the GTA4 episodic content whereas Sony either didn't want to pay up at all or didn't want to pay that much. Do you think Sony isn't guilty of it themselves though? GTA3 was a Sony exclusive for 1 year (before PC version) and 2 years (before Xbox version). I'm sure that wasn't free. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Graphically the game is meant to be superior on the 360 too. So maybe you should add GPU to that list too.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006

• Developers have had longer with XBL and probably have pre-written integration code

Ed

Bitter?

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
^ Graphically the game is meant to be superior on the 360 too. So maybe you should add GPU to that list too.

I think at their cores, the gpus are similar in power (or, so it's reported as being that way). But that coupled with the cpu I think is where the Ps3 has its difficulties. Ps3 caters towards inefficient raw power, 360 is efficient weaker power.

I'm not trying to rag on the system, but they certainly didn't make it easy to develop for, and not only that but also Microsoft's XNA development team/platform has been touted as being very friendly and easy to use. Those are comments we've all read straight from the developer's mouths...:eek:

Brains vs brawn, the timeless philosophical question. ;)

edit woot just noticed today is my 1yr MR anniversary :D

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Good to hear. The only traditional fighter I really got into was Soul Calibur. I might give this a chance. Online should give good competition.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think at their cores, the gpus are similar in power (or, so it's reported as being that way). But that coupled with the cpu I think is where the Ps3 has its difficulties. Ps3 caters towards inefficient raw power, 360 is efficient weaker power.

Kida similar, but the 360 gpu has that chip that gives AA to games without using overhead to the cpu.

Also the fact that the memory can be dynamically assigned so that it can access more that 256mb gives it a little boost over the ps3's gpu.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
GTA3 was a Sony exclusive for 1 year (before PC version) and 2 years (before Xbox version). I'm sure that wasn't free. ;)

Sony doesn't pay/Bribe companies for exclusivity.

In a not-very-disguised jab at Microsoft, SCEA President Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue:

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it..."

Ed

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No wonder they're losing exclusives this gen round! Games are costing more to produce, I don't blame developers for accepting bribes :cool:

We earn it...
And now they're reaping what they've sown.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Sony doesn't pay/Bribe companies for exclusivity.

Ed

While good to know....doesn't really matter to me...I want games on the system I buy. As long as MS doesn't buy the whole market(won't happen) then I think this is fine.

I see it as, funding the creative skills of the dev.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
What about Rainbow 6, Tony Hawks, Ridge Racer et al?

R6 for the PS3 looks exactly like R6 for the xbox...no difference to me. I think we will see improved graphics as devs get use to the system...look at ninja Gaiden: sigma

The darkness looks the same to me as well....I hear a lot on the web about the PS3 version has framerates issues...where?! not the game I played.

I'm not really checking for what looks slightly better...as long as I get it in my hands and its kick arse.

Bless

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

Ed

I think it's a combination of:

Microsoft bribing
+ XBox 360 dev kits have been available longer
+ More people have 360's so developers target that one first and make the PS3 port later
+ 360's easy to develop for so they make 360 games and port to PS3 later.

Kind of like how most people had PS2 so all games were developed for PS2 first then ported to the other systems last time around. Except 360 and PS3 are much more alike and the 360 actually has a better GPU and it's hard to optimize for Cell to get better CPU performance out of PS3, so the PS3 ports look equal or worse.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Oblivion looks much better on the PS3 vs the 360 though.

It's all about the devs having more time to polish.

Cause devs had a year.

You're right, it is all about having more time. And if they start on the 360 version first and aim for the same release date, the PS3 port falters.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Hahahaha, Ed H, you're always good to bring a laugh out in me :D

"No, they don't pay or bribe! Really! They told me so!!"

Riiiight..... no, never!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oblivion looks much better on the PS3 vs the 360 though.

It's all about the devs having more time to polish.

Yeah that's true I guess. I re-bought Oblivion for the PS3 just because of that.

But I wonder if the 360 version had an extra year of development, and both it and the PS3 version came out at the same time....... then which would have been better ? That would be a far more interesting result.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
This months EGM says NO ONLINE for the 360 version.. wonder which it is...

I'll scan the article if anyone wants/mods allow.

Ed

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
The EGM was surely finalized to print weeks ago, this was unveiled straight from Sega three days ago.

Sorry man ;)

It still wouldn't surprise me if it were not included. It doesn't show as "online" on sega's site. This may be a online outlet putting words in a developers mouth or misunderstanding/assuming, something that happens all too regularly.

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.