Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borka105

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
I purchased the 38MM on launch day. I think the actual size of the case looks quite good on my wrist, but I can't help but think that the actual watch faces are too small. At first glance, it's tough to read the time because the face is so small. This impacts only the circular faces.

It's a 38MM case size but like a 20MM watch face.

I feel like apple could enlarge the actual circular faces to take up more space on the screen.

Anyone else who owns a 38MM feel this way?

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
No. You must have vision problems. The 38MM is ginormous on my arm. Can't imagine anything bigger, and I have no problems reading it.

Attachments

• IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 328

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I purchased the 38MM on launch day. I think the actual size of the case looks quite good on my wrist, but I can't help but think that the actual watch faces are too small. At first glance, it's tough to read the time because the face is so small. This impacts only the circular faces.

I feel like apple could enlarge the actual circular faces to take up more space on the screen.

Yes. Except I had the 42mm and thought the 24mm watch face was too small.

Don't expect much support here, though. If you criticise any aspect of the watch you are an Enemy of the People.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They should come up with a face called "Minimalist" where they make the dial (or tick marks) as large as possible.

Also another face with a rectangular dial along the perimeter and complications inside the dial.

Reactions: kdarling

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
Yes. Except I had the 42mm and thought the 24mm watch face was too small.

Don't expect much support here, though. If you criticise any aspect of the watch you are an Enemy of the People.

That is just silly. Very, very silly. No one here thinks the Apple Watch is perfect. :rolleyes:

Reactions: flur

borka105

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
As someone that has worn a watch on their wrist everyday for the past 5-6 years, I am used to a certain amount of watch face.

My daily wear was a 38MM Tag Heuer Aquaracer. Same size as the apple watch, but the actual dial was the full 38MM.

My suggestion would be to expand the actual circular face if you minimize or remove the complications. Maybe a feature in a future software update?

I would

aufmobi

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
One solution is to stop pretending it's an analogue watch and just use a digital watch face. Or you could set your local city time for one of the complications so you have both analogue and digital on the same face. :cool:

Reactions: PirateP

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
I have the 38 Space Gray Sport Black. My other watch is a Rolex Air King, which is essentially the same size. I agree the analog faces on the Apple Watch are small. They are much higher contrast, and so easier to read in most light than my Rolex.

Already, the tick mark dial goes right up to the edge of the active OLED screen display area, so they can't be made any larger and still stay circular. Perhaps as the technology improves, we will see a future Apple Watch with an bezel-less display, or maybe even a round model. For now, it seems they made the bezel as thin as possible already without making compromises or hiding it with a raised ring.

Until Apple introduces additional watch faces, such as one with a rectangular dial, you can create a custom face using Utility or Simple as a starting point. Try it without the tick mark dial and the analog face will look bigger to the eye.

I change up the faces now and then. Modular looks very nice. I also really like Solar, though I wish it included a complication or two. Nothing wrong with enjoying the non-traditional faces.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
One solution is to stop pretending it's an analogue watch and just use a digital watch face. Or you could set your local city time for one of the complications so you have both analogue and digital on the same face. :cool:

I don't have a problem with telling time, but the dial could be better proportioned (namely larger) to the body, even on the 42mm.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
YES!! I'm glad someone brought this up! I think the circular faces a re way too small! The only exception is the "color" one. That one looks big. But the utility one seems so tiny!! People have mistaken my watch for the 38 (I have the 42) because they said the watch face is small. I wish they'd make the circular faces a little bigger. Same with the complications on utility and simple. The complications are TINY!!

bh85

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Midwest
I think they would look bigger if the watch faces had color background instead of black background. And if some watch faces were square ( stretched edge to edge ).

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010

I agree. Ideally, there should be more faces with no complications at the top and bottom, for those who want the emphasis to be on the core watch. Although maybe that would not work with the slightly rectangular shape. I moved from 38 to 42 (not only for that reason) -- it's less of an issue with 42. My favorite face on either size is the digital one with no complications. I go to and fro as to whether the other faces are too "faux" in nature.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i agree. i wish this one took more advantage of its size for example. waste of space

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 140
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.