Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Size?

• Too small

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Just right

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
I'm really unsure whether the 38mm is too small for me.

I thought I had relatively small wrists but I've seen some super small wrists on here which the 38mm fits perfectly.

Let me first say that 2D photos can be extremely misleading. I've taken several photos and it looks perfect in some and tiny in others. I'd ask friends for an opinion but I'm in a new city with few people I'd feel comfortable asking about something as trivial as this.

I've attached a photo I took earlier. I'm used to slightly larger watches so that may be my problem. Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate any honest feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_8925.JPG
    IMG_8925.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 413

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Just noticed the band was a little too tight there. I'm using the sports band on the third to last hole in that pic.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I had the same dilemma as you so went to the Apple store to try on both sizes a couple of time. I am probably thinner than you but still decided to go with 42mm after all. It seems to look better and also easier to use with a bigger screen.

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
I would recommend to always go with the larger size if one is able to pull it off, and you can. Smaller looks better with a long sleeved shirt, and larger looks better with short sleeves.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA

I thought I had relatively small wrists but I've seen some super small wrists on here which the 38mm fits perfectly.

Let me first say that 2D photos can be extremely misleading. I've taken several photos and it looks perfect in some and tiny in others. I'd ask friends for an opinion but I'm in a new city with few people I'd feel comfortable asking about something as trivial as this.

I've attached a photo I took earlier. I'm used to slightly larger watches so that may be my problem. Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate any honest feedback!

I think it looks good. I wear a 38 too and also wear it on the third last hole so we must have the same size wrist. I like the 38 as a subtle watch. The 42 is too big of a slab and I think it's because of its square-ish shape. I don't mind a larger watch if it's round.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 262

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

It looks fine on you but I do think the 42 mm would look equally good or slightly better considering the overall length of your arm and not just your wrist circumference. So if for some reason you want the larger screen, and frankly if I could, I would, then go for the 42 mm. I'm a 5'1" female and have been told the 38 mm watch looks perfectly proportioned on me so on you it probably does look a bit "stealth" and if that's the understated dressy look you want then keep what you have. But 42 is not going to look like a giant slab on you, don't worry.

Reactions: Night Spring

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
OP, honestly your wrists aren't that small. I'm a guy with smaller wrists than you and I went with the 42mm, and I honestly think the 42 would look much better on you. Are you still within your return period?

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I don't own an Apple Watch...yet, but i've tried on both models and prefer the 42mm one but would be 100% content with the 38mm. I'd get one primarily for notifications and to to monitor health and to check ESPN scores and some other apps. For the simple fact it's made for micro interactions I don't see screen size being an issue for me. Telling time, texting, phone calls, espn, apple pay...doesn't take size to do that for me.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Surely you're not going to choose your watch size based on a random poll? Can you not judge the comfort and appearance for yourself? You're the one who has to wear it, not us.

Reactions: Night Spring

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Aside from just considering your wrist, you should also consider your finger size. If you've got really fat fingers, you need the 42mm. My wrist circumference is 190mm, and when I tried on the watches the 38mm just looked too small to begin with. But after using my 42mm SS model, the size of your fingers will come into play every day when you unlock it. If you thought the letter keys were tiny on the original iPhone, the numerical keypad on this is a little tinier.

This is exactly why you can't type out a response to a message, tweet, etc. on the watch. My fingers are I guess larger than average since when I buy gloves I buy large, maybe extra large. But this is yet another reason to try these on first before making a purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.