Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
I often scan news when I just wake up in the morning, so I am not as cautious about what I'm pushing. It seems that the other morning I must have pushed something that caused a window to open on Firefox that says 39 viruses found on your iphone, and I can't get rid of it. I did not push the button that says OK. I cannot use Firefox at the moment because I can't get past this message, but nothing else on the phone seems to be wrong at this point.

I've found a few different webpages discussing the problem, including this one: https://howtoremove.guide/39-viruses-were-found-iphone-remove/

... but I thought I should check with the fine folks at Macrumors, to see if there are any other ideas or better approaches. Any advice would be appreciated.

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
I often scan news when I just wake up in the morning, so I am not as cautious about what I'm pushing. It seems that the other morning I must have pushed something that caused a window to open on Firefox that says 39 viruses found on your iphone, and I can't get rid of it. I did not push the button that says OK. I cannot use Firefox at the moment because I can't get past this message, but nothing else on the phone seems to be wrong at this point.

I've found a few different webpages discussing the problem, including this one: https://howtoremove.guide/39-viruses-were-found-iphone-remove/

... but I thought I should check with the fine folks at Macrumors, to see if there are any other ideas or better approaches. Any advice would be appreciated.
Click OK and close the page.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It's just a phishing pop up. Nothing had happened yet or had been scanned.
Fake ads embedded into legitimate websites can trigger these. When you see one:

Quit the browser
Go into settings and delete all history and cookies
Restart the phone (probably not necessary)
Don't visit that page again.

Any time you get a pop up message that's threatening or warning or demanding you do something- it's bogus.

Don't click on either the OK button or Cancel button - just quit the browser and clear the data in settings.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Great! I was worried that I could lose my pictures and data (I'm not that smart phone savvy). Thanks for all the replies. I don't have the phone in front of me but I'll do as instructed shortly and report back :)

Reactions: lordhamster

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Great! I was worried that I could lose my pictures and data (I'm not that smart phone savvy). Thanks for all the replies. I don't have the phone in front of me but I'll do as instructed shortly and report back :)

It's just scare tactics. Whilst malicious software can happen, no virus has ever hit iOS to my knowledge. Plus, corrupting your "Apple SIM" is such a bogus thing to say.

poutylips

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019

Quit the browser

Any time you get a pop up message that's threatening or warning or demanding you do something- it's bogus.

Don't click on either the OK button or Cancel button - just quit the browser and clear the data in settings.

Do what the above said and you’ll be good. To block all future phishings and ads, download Adguard from the App Store and use it.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018

Quit the browser

When I go into my Settings, I see a long list things like Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc., but I don't see a tab for history or cookies, or any tab that might lead to same. What am I doing wrong?

Update: Tried googling it, and the only thing I found about finding a button to Clear history and cookies was to look under Safari tab, where I did find a button to clear history and website data. I did this, and restarted the phone, but still get the warning on Firefox.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Update: Tried googling it, and the only thing I found about finding a button to Clear history and cookies was to look under Safari tab, where I did find a button to clear history and website data. I did this, and restarted the phone, but still get the warning on Firefox.

I think most people on here, myself included, only really have experience with Safari on iOS. All browsers on iOS use the Safari rendering engine anyway, so unless it's for a feature like bookmark syncing with your desktop, there's not much reason to use anything else; Anyways, point being that it may act differently being that it is a different browser than we're all used to working with; First off, check in Settings under Firefox; The other posters on here may have known more about Firefox for iOS than me and referred to one of its settings inside Settings.
Otherwise, maybe just delete ande reinstall Firefox via the App Store.

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the reply casperes1996. Before reading it I called Apple and spoke to a tech. I'm not a fan of big tech companies in general, but I still appreciate companies that actually have live human beings for customer service. In any event, we tried a few things, and after having no luck, the tech had me delete the Firefox app and reinstall. This worked. I'll be more cautious the next time something pops up. Still appreciate all the replies. Thank goodness for forums, where experienced users are willing to help out those with less experience.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
For others that might find this thread, for iOS Firefox, as of this writing:
  • Bring up Firefox
  • Tap three bars at lower right of screen
  • Settings > Data Management
  • Toggle on what you want to clear, then tap "Clear Private Data"
  • On same screen, Tap Website Data, then "Clear All Website Data"
And as others have mentioned, install an ad blocker, and stay away from sketchy sites.

Reactions: brgjoe

jmm55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
Just to be clear, the three bars could not be activated when the message was showing, and neither could the refresh or back button, but for any other situation I trust the advice.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
My bad. Yes, you are correct.

Something else to try if it happens again. Settings > Firefox > Skip Session Restore. Turn that on. I was able to sorta mimic the situation by generating a Javascript alert, swipe away/quit Firefox, toggle on, restart, all gone.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I have seen something similar and my reaction is not to click the OK or the X- which might activate something, but straight away switch off the machine and reboot which gets rid of these scams.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You could also probably restart the device or close the app from multitasking, turn on Airplane mode, and then reopen the app and close the malicious website while offline so it can't load.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Please use an Ad blocker like Purify or AdGuard. Make sure you enable it in Safari settings under Content Blockers.

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I think most people on here, myself included, only really have experience with Safari on iOS. All browsers on iOS use the Safari rendering engine anyway, so unless it's for a feature like bookmark syncing with your desktop, there's not much reason to use anything else

I'd suggest you actually try a browser like iCab, which offers a desktop-class experience, and an almost dizzying array of customization options and things like built-in ad blocking and gesture control.

There are plenty of reasons to use something aside from Safari, on both desktop and iOS.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'd suggest you actually try a browser like iCab, which offers a desktop-class experience, and an almost dizzying array of customization options and things like built-in ad blocking and gesture control.

I genuinely really like Safari. On my phone I don't really need much from a browser, my iPad runs iPadOS 13, and Safari is actually really quite nice on it, and on macOS I like how little resources Safari use while still giving quite a feature rich experience.

There are plenty of reasons to use something aside from Safari, on both desktop and iOS.

But sure, yes there are a plethora of reasons. But less on iOS than on the desktop, since the backend is always Safari. You only change the View Controller layer, not the browser model
[doublepost=1567867547][/doublepost]
Thanks for the reply casperes1996. Before reading it I called Apple and spoke to a tech. I'm not a fan of big tech companies in general, but I still appreciate companies that actually have live human beings for customer service. In any event, we tried a few things, and after having no luck, the tech had me delete the Firefox app and reinstall. This worked. I'll be more cautious the next time something pops up. Still appreciate all the replies. Thank goodness for forums, where experienced users are willing to help out those with less experience.

You're welcome. happy you got it sorted.

Sadly my experiences with Apple Support haven't been very good. I'm not in the US, and there's no Apple Store here (Denmark), only AASP. You can't email Apple, you can't text them, only call. I'm not a big fan of phone calls. I like to have the time to formulate proper sentences from my thoughts when I'm dealing with formal situations like support. And when I have called, even though it's somewhat nice they have Danes answering the phones to make it somewhat local, more often than not the answer ends up being "I don't know, hope you figure something out, or you could pay someone to work on it"

z212222

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2021

bruh this happend to me too. when i was on google i saw an message ('the message was *WARNING THERES 39 VIRUSES ON YOUR PHONE (CLICK THIS TO REPAIR NOW) and also the message was diffirent because i was on android it happend at probably 9:39 AND I WAS SO PARANOID THAT I THOUGHT IT WAS REAL AND SEARCH HOW MUCH TO REPAIR MY PHONE WITH 39 VIRUSES

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Yeah, as others have said this is just a common scare tactic used by malicious code on websites. It really is just a warning message popup. They hope that you'll click whatever link they put and then download whatever spyware/ransomware they are trying to push. Sometimes they just want to con you into paying a fee for a fake "virus clean."

Also, as others have said use Safari and a "content blocker" app. On iOS, there really is little benefit (other than the look of the browser) to using Firefox. All iOS browsers use the safari engine in the background to render pages, but lose many of the protections and integrations native Safari has.

On Android, I'd say absolutely Firefox is one of the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.