Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What 3D app would you use to make a card board box in order to use it as a mock-up?
Realism is needed, so I guess that app must be good in handling shadows and texture but also I want a simple app, nothing like the complexity of 3D Studio 😉

Last edited:

Evil Lair

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
For my work I've been using Boxshot for mostly-realistic packaging mock-ups, for many years. Relatively simple and easy to grasp without as much 3d knowledge needed compared to full blown apps like Blender. It's also superior to Adobe's attempt at something similar.

Reactions: zoran

Evil Lair

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Adobe’s attempt? What are you referring to?
Adobe Substance, which started life as something similar to Boxshot and was included with the Adobe all-apps plan. It's now paywalled into it's own 3d ecosystem so maybe it has improved since then. One additional nice thing about the developer of Boxshot is they also have a die-line to 3d model app though I've never tried it.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want to see BoxShot's best mockups, in order to understand its full potential and abilities... but where?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Wow, this is unbelievable! There are peppers and olives in the jars, how did they create jars with content? Are they created by the app?

Attachments

• D4342DD5-F2F7-44AB-8A23-5DBE734C005B.jpeg
    D4342DD5-F2F7-44AB-8A23-5DBE734C005B.jpeg
    572.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Yes. You load in several graphics related to whatever branding you have, and it applies it to various product models to show you a rough idea of what a completed product may look like.

If you have any other questions about that software, they appear to have an extensive tutorial section.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Yes. You load in several graphics related to whatever branding you have, and it applies it to various product models to show you a rough idea of what a completed product may look like.
Let’s have an example, I’m trying to understand how it works.
Let’s take that red pepper jar. What kind of "several graphics" would there be needed to get this result?
Would a pepper jar have to be actually photoshooted by a photographer, then send some pics to the app, and then that’s where it would be composed and finished off?
Is there AI been used?
Have you actually used this app?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.