Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
I have a powerMac g5. I like to know if there software out there for the powerMac that i can use with my 3D printer. I been using it for my music but i think if i can get software to use it with my 3D printer. I figure people write software like web browsers for old powerMacs. Maybe there some type of 3D printer software someone may have wrote. I look online but i keep getting software for windows 10 or 11 and some newer macs. I was just wondering. thanks for the help i get everyone.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
You're talking about slicers right? I think the problem might be how new most good slicers are. They might be open source but they're built for modern OS's and hardware.
Although there might be a way to build some for PPC linux.

Slicing will probably take a long while on nearly 20 yo hardware as it already is slower than I'd like on my early Intel macs

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
You're talking about slicers right? I think the problem might be how new most good slicers are. They might be open source but they're built for modern OS's and hardware.
Although there might be a way to build some for PPC linux.

Slicing will probably take a long while on nearly 20 yo hardware as it already is slower than I'd like on my early Intel macs
I love to get linux working on this but i haven't had luck so i just going to leave mac os 10.5.9 on here. thanks for the help.

davisdelo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
I haven't had a lot of luck with this either. I was able to open and navigate around Astroprint.com, even connect it to my thingiverse account, but it wouldn't let me get into the slicer proper. I was using InterWebPPC. Maybe a more modern Linux browser on PPC can access the full site.

gwb21471

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
I haven't had a lot of luck with this either. I was able to open and navigate around Astroprint.com, even connect it to my thingiverse account, but it wouldn't let me get into the slicer proper. I was using InterWebPPC. Maybe a more modern Linux browser on PPC can access the full site.
I tried debian sid for ppc and few other thats out there for the powermac G5 and i couldn't get them to install right to work. I had debian sid on there for a while but couldn't get a modern browser to install. I couldn't even get cure the 3d printing software to install right or work. so i reinstalled mac os 10.5. Darkweb seems to work on more sites then any other i found. powermac is going dead out there. Less people want to make software like browser's and stuff for them. I see when i do searches for powermac stuff i get less stuff for powermac and more for intel base mac's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.