Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys, I'm using 3D touch for the first time on my iPhone 7 (iOS 12.1.2). Problem is that when I use it, if I press the screen for anything longer than a split second (literally) the message or email just opens up rather than give me a preview.

I've adjusted the settings in Accessibility, but I get the same result no matter what setting I use.

For example, if I press on an message, the preview will pop up then instantly the actual message will open.

I was under the impression that I can preview for as long as I wanted to.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hi guys, I'm using 3D touch for the first time on my iPhone 7 (iOS 12.1.2). Problem is that when I use it, if I press the screen for anything longer than a split second (literally) the message or email just opens up rather than give me a preview.

I've adjusted the settings in Accessibility, but I get the same result no matter what setting I use.

For example, if I press on an message, the preview will pop up then instantly the actual message will open.

I was under the impression that I can preview for as long as I wanted to.
You’re pressing too hard.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
You’re pressing too hard.

That's what I thought so adjusted the settings. But still had the same issue.

Then my uncle came round who also has 3D touch. I tried his and was able to use 3D touch fine.

I reckon I have a dodgy screen maybe.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
You have to press lightly.. If you do it slowly enough you can actually see the point where it goes from “peek” to “pop”
I've tried a absolutely every type of pressure imaginable to man, but it just pops well within a second.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Well, I would just go to settings and turn the feature off all together. Hah. I only say that because Apple is ditching it anyway. I just stopped using it on my iPhone X...HAha...It’s been hard, but I am getting used to it.

Reactions: scouser75

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, I would just go to settings and turn the feature off all together. Hah. I only say that because Apple is ditching it anyway. I just stopped using it on my iPhone X...HAha...It’s been hard, but I am getting used to it.
Don't think we really know if it's really going away. Seems like if it's something useful and it works, then why not use it?

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Don't think we really know if it's really going away. Seems like if it's something useful and it works, then why not use it?
I mean, you re right, but I also think that getting ready and getting used to some thing before Apple does something is also alright as well. I don’t know, it is just something that I am messing around with.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I would do, but absolutely need the track pad keyboard for moving the cursor. It's not great, but compared to previous methods of moving the cursor, it's much better.

Cant believe Apple still hasn't managed to sort out a decent cursor mover!!! LOL

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would do, but absolutely need the track pad keyboard for moving the cursor. It's not great, but compared to previous methods of moving the cursor, it's much better.

Cant believe Apple still hasn't managed to sort out a decent cursor mover!!! LOL
As of iOS 12 they introduced another way of accessing that: simply long press (as in just touch and hold) on the spacebar.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
As of iOS 12 they introduced another way of accessing that: simply long press (as in just touch and hold) on the spacebar.
This is something that I am using now that I have turned 3D Touch off on my iPhone. However, I am realizing really fast that I really do not like it at all.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
That's what I thought so adjusted the settings. But still had the same issue.

Then my uncle came round who also has 3D touch. I tried his and was able to use 3D touch fine.

I reckon I have a dodgy screen maybe.
Sounds like maybe something is wrong with your display. If you are still within warranty or have AppleCare, I would take it in to see if they can replace your display.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and see how I go with 3D touch off. I don't really use it so no big deal.

Unfortunately well and truly out of warranty so got to decide whether to get screen replaced or to just live with it.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Have you tried to turn 3D Touch off, then reboot and turn it on again?
Did you tried to restore your phone? Did you tried a clean install (keep a backup safe to restore later maybe)?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Have you tried to turn 3D Touch off, then reboot and turn it on again?
Did you tried to restore your phone? Did you tried a clean install (keep a backup safe to restore later maybe)?
Yup. Tried everything.

Think I'll just live with it as is. Can't justify a new screen on a 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.