Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JdeFalconr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
OK this may be a bit too tall of an order but I'm having great difficulty finding an iPhone case that is:

--Shock absorbent like a silicone case
--Slim, not overly bulky
--Something I can slide in and out of a pocket easily

I currently have a silicone case I picked up at the AT&T store and while it meets the first two needs it completely fails on the third, being a pain to slide in and out of my jeans pocket.

Right now my three candidates are:
--Incase Slider (concerned there's not enough shock absorbtion with just the rubber "rails")
--Seidio Innocase II (looks sexy. But I'm concerned there's not enough shock absorbtion...the felt liner looks inadequate)
--Speck CandyShell (Those color combinations aren't my thing...plus it looks bulky.)
--Speck Fitted (looks to have no shock protection although I'm a fan of the design.)

I fear that these three criteria may not go together well and I may have to just settle. But I figured that before I do so I should tap the community for suggestions. I would appreciate your reccommendations on this! Thank you for the help.

scull20

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Check out the "iSkin Solo"...I just ordered one. I was looking for a case with the exact same criteria and this one seems to be perfect.

I ordered it from HERE yesterday. Its 10$ cheaper than ordering it from iSkin...and I also found a 10% off coupon online (just search "apsprostore coupon code" in google.)

Hope it helps!

-Ryan

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Slider: Very little shock protection. Only scratch protection. The rails are only to prevent pressure against the case from scratching the phone.

Innocase II: TBH, I hated this case. EXTREMELY flimsy! Even less protection than the Slider.

Speck Candyshell: If you want a hard case, this is the way to go in terms of shock protection. The color combinations aren't my thing either.

Speck Fitted: Never tried in real life, but if you like the looks, it has more shock protection than Slider and Innocase II.

Bottom Line: Silicone cases always have more shock protection than hard cases. Also, they don't have a risk of scratching your phone at all.

I had the exact same requirements as you (you can search for threads that I started) and in the end chose the Switcheasy Colors. I realized I had to give up something (slimness) to get extreme shock protection. Fallen many times on rough concrete, tile, etc. and no damage whatsoever. It actually is a lot easier to get out of your pocket than you would think. Plus, if you don't like it its only about half the $$$ of the others. It isn't too bulky, either. That is definitely my recommendation.

So, if you're choosing fashion over function and protection, get the Innocase II, and if not, the Switcheasy Colors.

Check out the "iSkin Solo"...I just ordered one. I was looking for a case with the exact same criteria and this one seems to be perfect.

I ordered it from HERE yesterday. Its 10$ cheaper than ordering it from iSkin...and I also found a 10% off coupon online (just search "apsprostore coupon code" in google.)

Hope it helps!

-Ryan

I realize this may be the best case for you, scull20, but I don't recommend it to the OP. It's too thin to offer enough shock protection and doesn't cover some of the chrome. I personally would rate it equal with the Slider in terms of protection. It's still a great case though.

In the end, it's your choice OP, not mine, scull20's, or anyone else's. You can find the best one for you. Good luck! I hope you find what you were looking for!

JdeFalconr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks all for the opinions. After looking at the available options a bit more I actually went with the Switcheasy CapsuleNeo:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/switcheasy-capsuleneo-for-iphone-3g/

I liked the harder outside plus the rubberized inside. I'll cross my fingers and hope this one works out! If not then back to the drawing board...maybe by then Speck will release other colors for their CandyShell.

Thanks again all for the help!

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I got over the candy shell colors.

The candy shell is a real nice case, it's similar to an incase slider as far as size. It does add bulk but IMO offers the best overall protection.

I have also been looking at the iskin solo lately but i cant seem to spend $30 on such a case. I love the candy shell but when i take it off and feel the slim naked phone i realize how much bulk it adds.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Check out the iSkin Solo or the Marware Flexishell. Both are kind of hybrid soft/hard cases. They are mostly hard cases, but are somewhat soft and bendable. Both will slide in and out of your pocket easily.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
iSkin Revo2 here. You can't get it out of your pocket as easily as a plastic/hardshell case, but it comes out easily enough. Best case I've used so far (and I've been through a few online cases, and just about every one at Best Buy).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.