Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

player2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Ok I am thinking of getting this but after reading lots of stuff on it I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me out with.

Currently I have Sprint and anytime I want to login to the internet it connects to the EVDO service so it is not always on unless I leave it connected.

With the iPhone is 3G always connected? Or does it just go into a 'sleep' mode if you will to help battery life when not using it.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
3G handles both voice and data on the new iPhone unless there's no signal, in which case it drops back to GSM, and it works the same for both. Think of when you make a call - the battery drains heavily dependent on talk-time, and the rest of the time you're still 'connected' to the network, but not active. The same goes for 3G data, it'll only drain heavily when you're actually browsing/streaming/etc.

player2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Oh ok...

So kinda unrelated...but to switch to Wi-Fi does it automatically detect or do you have to manually tell it to use that over 3G?

scariaga

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
I'm curious about this, I noticed how there is this "enable 3G" option in the settings. Should I take turn that off when I'm using wifi? would it help the battery life to take this off periodically? :confused:

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Oh ok...

So kinda unrelated...but to switch to Wi-Fi does it automatically detect or do you have to manually tell it to use that over 3G?

If you're connected to WiFi it will automatically use it for data. However, as pointed out, the 3G will still be on for voice (unless you turn it off in the settings).

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Oh ok...

I'm curious about this, I noticed how there is this "enable 3G" option in the settings. Should I take turn that off when I'm using wifi? would it help the battery life to take this off periodically? :confused:

It will use WiFi for data, but still use 3G for voice unless you turn 3G off...in which case it'll default back to GSM for voice. You're looking at a miniscule amount of battery saving there - it's only when you're in a call or transferring data that the battery life difference between 3G and GSM becomes apparent.

scariaga

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
It will use WiFi for data, but still use 3G for voice unless you turn 3G off...in which case it'll default back to GSM for voice. You're looking at a miniscule amount of battery saving there - it's only when you're in a call or transferring data that the battery life difference between 3G and GSM becomes apparent.

ok good to know, thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.