Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Is there any point at all in turning on WiFi when the 3G speeds are so fast? Seems like it would just drain the battery constantly searching for hotspots etc. With a 5GB plan there is little risk of going over the data limit on 3G.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
According to Apple, 3G kills the battery faster then WiFi does. WiFi use is 6 hours while 3G is 5 hours. Think you should swap that around. ;)

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Is there any point at all in turning on WiFi when the 3G speeds are so fast? Seems like it would just drain the battery constantly searching for hotspots etc. With a 5GB plan there is little risk of going over the data limit on 3G.

I try to turn off WiFi whenever I know I won't be using it. But I usually end up forgetting, maybe with the lower battery life of the 3G I will remember more.

According to Apple, 3G kills the battery faster then WiFi does. WiFi use is 6 hours while 3G is 5 hours. Think you should swap that around. ;)

If you know that you won't have a WiFi signal it could be efficient to turn off WiFi. It is always scanning for a hotspot, so by turning it off you are stopping the constant scan, which will help battery life. But it wouldn't be efficient to turn it off in order to use 3G when a WiFi hotspot is available.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
If you know that you won't have a WiFi signal it could be efficient to turn off WiFi. It is always scanning for a hotspot, so by turning it off you are stopping the constant scan, which will help battery life. But it wouldn't be efficient to turn it off in order to use 3G when a WiFi hotspot is available.

True, I was going off of the interpretation of he was in a hotspot, but since 3G is fast enough and people generally know WiFi is a power hog that just sacrifice the little speed difference for better battery life with 3G. Which actually isn't the case. 3G is more of a power hog then WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.