Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some sort of idea as to how 4G will effect my battery life?

EE rang me tonight and have basically allowed me to upgrade to 4G without extending contract and for the same monthly cost. Would have been a fool to turn it down.

I'm just wondering what the effect on battery life is likely to be?

I average around 5 hrs over 3G atm but the signal is pretty poor at work. Apparently 4G coverage in that area is decent though.

mrcheezit

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
It depends on how good the coverage in the area is. If it's good like you said, then your battery life will improve over 3G because it does not need to be connected to the network for as long as a slower 3G connection. But if it's bad, then it will constantly search for a connection causing worse battery life. Just try it out for a couple days and see what happens.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some sort of idea as to how 4G will effect my battery life?

EE rang me tonight and have basically allowed me to upgrade to 4G without extending contract and for the same monthly cost. Would have been a fool to turn it down.

I'm just wondering what the effect on battery life is likely to be?

I average around 5 hrs over 3G atm but the signal is pretty poor at work. Apparently 4G coverage in that area is decent though.

Just accept it, you can disable LTE when you want to.

LTE will probably lower the battery life a bit, but if you have bad 3G, chances of getting LTE there are close to none.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.