Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuckss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Hi,

I have a 3rd Gen apple tv and it was working fine until yesterday. There was a software update and now the physical remote control does not work. Fresh battery but no joy. The virtual remote on my phone works.

I notice that when I press the buttons on the physical remote the white light on the apple tv flashes but nothing happens. So it seems to be getting a signal but not responding. Very annoying. It must be related to the update that installed yesterday. Never had this problem before.
Thanks for your help.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Try using another IR remote using the Remote Learning feature.

If the ATV won't register another IR remote, then maybe the update broke the IR on the ATV.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
NVM, I re-read your post, and I thought it said that the white light didn't flash. If it is flashing, that I am sure the IR is working:
I notice that when I press the buttons on the physical remote the white light on the apple tv flashes but nothing happens.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Probably just needs to be repaired.

The easiest way is to use the Remote Learning feature.

Nuckss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Probably just needs to be repaired.

The easiest way is to use the Remote Learning feature.

Yes, I paired/unpaired and it works. Seems counterintuitive that when I select unpair remote, it works. When I select pair remote, it stops working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.