Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I'd love to hear some of your experiences about he performance of beta 2 vs the 4th gen or other iDevices. I currently own a 3rd gen, but if performance is atrocious, I may try to get rid of it ASAP.

tehBrad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I have a 64gb wifi ipad 3 and wow is the performance so much different than on my iPhone 5.

The ipad 3 manages to lag on just about every animation while my iPhone 5 is very usable and fluent in almost everything.

I'm sure by the time the official version is out, everything will hopefully run smoothly.

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
My 3rd gen (3G) is running perfectly fine on Beta 2 apart from the unlock numpad.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
One word- OUCH.

It looks amazing, but it runs like complete crap. Third party apps generally run well, but the OS itself and a few of the built-in apps are pretty atrocious. Don't even get me started on the strange glitches.

But as taedouni pointed out, the final release will be significantly better. Dare I say it, it should run at least as well as iOS 6.

I really wouldn't recommend putting beta 2 on a 3rd gen iPad if you plan on using the device beyond messing around with the new features in iOS 7.

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
Been loving ios7 on my iPhone 5, but like many in this thread have said it is incredibly laugh on the 3rd Gen iPad. Looks great, but insanely laggy.

jaycarroll

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Denville, NJ
I had more lag issues with the iPad prior to a settings reset. Things seem to have mostly stabilized now. While it's still a far cry from the iPhone 5 performance, it's clearly an improvement.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
it runs like crap IMO but thats expected from a beta. Definitely not running as smooth as my iPhone 5.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I'm running it on a 32 GB 4th Gen (CDMA) and I wouldn't call the animations or overall experience nearly as smooth as it is on my iPhone 5. Even typing here, there's a bit of keyboard lag. Weird orientation switching issues. Multitasking gestures are hit and miss, especially in landscape I've noticed.

And I have to say, I'm not finding the whole new design nearly as pleasing on the iPad as I have on the iPhone. Sure, no one really cares much for the new icons, but much of the rest has been fine with me on the the iPhone, but for whatever reason, on the iPad, it's just rubbing me the wrong way. I've really enjoyed iOS 7 on the iPhone from day 1, but for no other reason than the look and feel of iOS 7 on the iPad, I already want to head back to 6. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but the design sensibility just isn't resonating with me on this larger screen the way it did on the iPhone.

And that worries me.

To be clear, I have no issue that I can't get over with performance. 3rd party apps seem fine for the most part, and the quirks are just standard for beta releases. But something about the overall look of the presentation on the iPad just turns me off. There's plenty I don't much care for about iOS 6, but the worst of it was a bit of awkward leather and strangely-used linen patterns. While there's a lot of great functionality in iOS 7, there's just a lot more I don't like about the way it looks on the iPad.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I will say that I think the lock screen and notification center look great on the the iPad. It's all the stock apps that are bugging me.

I also am not a huge fan of 3X3 grids in the folders with all that wasted space left. They are not making me life easier, which I thought was the point. I get it on the iPhone, but not on the iPad. Just looks like a lot of wasted space, and while a huge folder of icons isn't the most attractive thing either, neither looks great, but one is easier to use, so why not go with that?

And goodnight, the dock and folder translucency (or lack thereof...) is far more gratuitous looking on the iPad than it is on the iPhone, and it certainly doesn't look great on the iPhone. If you're going for translucent, you need more, otherwise it just looks like muddied-gray eyes soars with so many of these backgrounds. The parallax effect is such a nice effect, but it's really overshadowed by the ugly dock and folders at this point.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Well I haven't put it on my iPad 3 so I'm very interested in everyone's experiences. I use mine every day and can't afford for it to run badly.

I don't care much about the icons. I don't look at them that much. I'm more interested in usability. From the screen shots and videos out I can already tell I'm probably not going to like it much.

Why? Two main reasons:
1). I keep my apps in folders to organize them. I only have two pages, one with my app folders that have the apps I use and the second that only has my Junk folder (contains the stock apps I can't remove and don't use like GameCenter and PhotoBooth) and NewsStand. I never look at the second page. But if I can only have 9 apps per page in my folders this completely breaks my flow. Now I'll have to open a folder and swipe! What a waste! I see the use on the small phone interface but not on a screen the size of an iPad. Hopefully this will change at rollout.

2). The stock apps are just to WHITE and the text doesn't give enough contrast. The screen shots show black text but also a lot of light grey text. Sorry, light grey just doesn't work well with old eyes. I know I can enlarge and probably bold the text but that's probably not going to be enough contrast. Frankly I liked the calendar and Notes app with the current background. I just do not like a mostly white background. It becomes uncomfortable to look at after a short time.

Actually I guess there's a third thing too if it also stays, I use my bookmarks bar in Safari all the time. But this one at least has a workaround. I'll use a different browser. Just wish I could make it the default if I have to use something else.

So I like some of what I see (especially the control center) but not enough to make up for the things that I don't like. I'll upgrade to it. If it doesn't look better once officially rolled out I'll give my iPad to my grandkids and get a Surface. I will probably buy a Mini for an e-reader and to use with my apps I've already purchased but as a daily driver, I don't think I can use the full-blown iPad.

Hopefully some of my concerns won't be as big of a deal once I put it on but I'm not counting on it.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I completely agree with the posts above, the whole experience feels really laggy & there's something 'not quite right' about iOS7 on the iPad (I love it on the iPhone 5 though)

I too am hoping that it's purely a Beta issue as the iPad 3 has similar-ish processor specs to the iPad mini & I don't think apple would let their current gen iPad mini customers have such a bad, laggy experience with essentially a current product!

freemini

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Norway
It's pretty bad. Turning Parallax off helps a ton though, I'd highly recommend it for 3rd Gen users.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
It's a shame that Apple didn't take this opportunity to build a ground-up version for the iPad to make it a more unique experience on a tablet rather than a blown up iPod touch. I guess it's hard to teach a cash cow new tricks.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It's a shame that Apple didn't take this opportunity to build a ground-up version for the iPad to make it a more unique experience on a tablet rather than a blown up iPod touch. I guess it's hard to teach a cash cow new tricks.
That would destroy the entire purpose behind the iPad, and it's intent and what it was marketed as.

At least we know why you're not VP at Apple.

freemini

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Norway
In accesibility menu? What does it change? Can't find any difference...

It disables motion basically. The menus and icons won't move according to your physical movements anymore. It makes it smoother but removes that "liveliness" feeling of iOS 7.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
That would destroy the entire purpose behind the iPad, and it's intent and what it was marketed as.

At least we know why you're not VP at Apple.

Well, it's not just Apple that doesn't seem to like this idea either (I'm looking at you, Google), and the only major company (Microsoft) that has really embraced the idea of software made specifically for a tablet has been struggling to show its value, despite the fact that there are many innovative and useful features and a lot of added utility to the Windows 8 platform, strictly speaking as a tablet OS. Ergo, I understand why Apple is wary of change. If tablets really are the wave of the future for personal computing, IMO, the market will change eventually towards Microsoft's approach.

I digress. I hope the production version of iOS 7 will be sufficient, as I'm fine with the iPad 3 hardware for my uses at the moment.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'd love to hear some of your experiences about he performance of beta 2 vs the 4th gen or other iDevices. I currently own a 3rd gen, but if performance is atrocious, I may try to get rid of it ASAP.

Is it still restoring from iCloud backup? That does affect performance you know.

seanathon

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Ca-Tx
It's pretty bad. Turning Parallax off helps a ton though, I'd highly recommend it for 3rd Gen users.

My 3rd Gen iPad was very sluggish and laggy on the beta. Going in and out of folders and the multi-tasking view was a pain.

Turning off Parallax and a hard reset resolved this issue for me. Like others have said though, performance on iPad 3 isn't as fluid as on iPhone 5. But, that's to be expected. This is a beta, after all.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I'm more than happy with beta2 on ipad3. Not perfect but I'll bet next beta will iron out remaining imperfections. Have it running on my iphone5 and love ios7 now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.