Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
So I still have iOS 14.8 on my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12,9 (2018), but I'd like to update to iOS 16 because it has features that I need, like tab groups.

But I'm scared that it will slow down my iPad.

Some people on Youtube show what it behaves like, but their use is unrealistic. They open one app and close it again, nothing is running in the background, etc. So I'm not surprised it's smooth.

Right now I have 19 Safari windows open with a total of 133 tabs (that's why I urgently need tab groups, lol). I also have plenty of other apps like Excel, Word and so on running in the background or side-by-side.

But it runs super smooth, it's absolutely never laggy or anything in that direction. At no single point, and it would drive me crazy if it did. It would literally destroy my workflow, which I'm trying to improve with this update.

Does anyone have a similar usage to mine and has done the upgrade from iOS 14 to 16 on their 2018 iPad Pro 12,9 and if yes, what did it feel like?

Appreciating it!

Reactions: Dylan33x

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Mine is iPad M1, a bit regret updating to 16. Aside from security update and stage manager, the 16 demands more battery in every app opened - compare to 14.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Mine is iPad M1, a bit regret updating to 16. Aside from security update and stage manager, the 16 demands more battery in every app opened - compare to 14.

Okay that is kind of worrying, seeing that your M1 should be much more powerful than my old Pro. Thanks so much for this feedback!

I've read somewhere, however, that some newer devices were slower than some older ones. I don't remember if it applied to iPads however, I think it was rather Mac Minis or Macbooks. There was something where read & write speeds on newer devices were worse than before.

Perhaps it also applies to these iPads.

Apart from the battery life, do you feel any changes in terms of snappiness or laggyness and so on, or is it just the battery? Also, if you could tell me the state of your battery (you can find the info in your settings), that would be a great help!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Okay that is kind of worrying, seeing that your M1 should be much more powerful than my old Pro. Thanks so much for this feedback!

I've read somewhere, however, that some newer devices were slower than some older ones. I don't remember if it applied to iPads however, I think it was rather Mac Minis or Macbooks. There was something where read & write speeds on newer devices were worse than before.

Perhaps it also applies to these iPads.

Apart from the battery life, do you feel any changes in terms of snappiness or laggyness and so on, or is it just the battery? Also, if you could tell me the state of your battery (you can find the info in your settings), that would be a great help!
My father has iPad Pro 2020 (non-M1), which remain at iPadOS 14. Compared to my M1, 2020 is snappier *slightly*. My iPad battery is about 92% (based on Setting -> Analytics Data).

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
My father has iPad Pro 2020 (non-M1), which remain at iPadOS 14. Compared to my M1, 2020 is snappier *slightly*. My iPad battery is about 92% (based on Setting -> Analytics Data).

Thanks! 2020 is still two years younger than my 2018. Will probably make a difference. Maybe someone has a 2018 here and did the update to iOS 16. But that was useful, thanks!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So I still have iOS 14.8 on my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12,9 (2018), but I'd like to update to iOS 16 because it has features that I need, like tab groups.

But I'm scared that it will slow down my iPad.

Some people on Youtube show what it behaves like, but their use is unrealistic. They open one app and close it again, nothing is running in the background, etc. So I'm not surprised it's smooth.

Right now I have 19 Safari windows open with a total of 133 tabs (that's why I urgently need tab groups, lol). I also have plenty of other apps like Excel, Word and so on running in the background or side-by-side.

But it runs super smooth, it's absolutely never laggy or anything in that direction. At no single point, and it would drive me crazy if it did. It would literally destroy my workflow, which I'm trying to improve with this update.

Does anyone have a similar usage to mine and has done the upgrade from iOS 14 to 16 on their 2018 iPad Pro 12,9 and if yes, what did it feel like?

Appreciating it!

How much reloading are you currently experiencing?

A12 (and I assume A12X) is still pretty fast on iOS 15-16 but I noticed more reloads versus iOS 14 on 3-4GB RAM iPads.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

A12 (and I assume A12X) is still pretty fast on iOS 15-16 but I noticed more reloads versus iOS 14 on 3-4GB RAM iPads.

I think it reload it every day. It's not empty but I want it to be full the next day. Lately I've been taking more care of being closer to 50% and not that much on the edges at 0 or 100%, not expand the lifespan.

But I wouldn't say I've had battery issues. I'm using it all day and have a lot of stuff open and use intensive apps.

What iPad do you have? Is it a 2018 as well? Did you notice anything in terms of lagging, snappiness, etc. when you updated from iOS 14 to iOS 16?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think it reload it every day. It's not empty but I want it to be full the next day. Lately I've been taking more care of being closer to 50% and not that much on the edges at 0 or 100%, not expand the lifespan.

But I wouldn't say I've had battery issues. I'm using it all day and have a lot of stuff open and use intensive apps.

By reloads, I meant reloading of apps or Safari tabs, not recharging the battery.

What iPad do you have? Is it a 2018 as well? Did you notice anything in terms of lagging, snappiness, etc. when you updated from iOS 14 to iOS 16?

I alternate between a few:

• iPad Pro M1/16GB
  • iPad Air 5 M1/8GB
  • iPad mini 6 A15/4GB
  • iPad Air 3 A12/3GB

I didn't notice any lagginess after updating to iOS 16 but the 3-4GB RAM iPads reload a lot.

@Digitalguy has the 2018 iPP and iirc, from his account, it's still very responsive/fast on iOS 16.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
By reloads, I meant reloading of apps or Safari tabs, not recharging the battery.

I alternate between a few:

• iPad Pro M1/16GB
  • iPad Air 5 M1/8GB
  • iPad mini 6 A15/4GB
  • iPad Air 3 A12/3GB

I didn't notice any lagginess after updating to iOS 16 but the 3-4GB RAM iPads reload a lot.

@Digitalguy has the 2018 iPP and iirc, from his account, it's still very responsive/fast on iOS 16.

Oh yeah, I do get reloads. But I have nearly 20 Safari windows open right now with 130+ tabs. But I think I'd have the reloads also if only one Safari window with 5 tabs was open. That was my feeling at least. And sadly, my model only has 4 GB of RAM it appears.

Sounds risky to update this …

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

This /\

The processor should be plenty but the RAM amount will (begin to) be limiting. The M1/M2 has (at least) twice (i.e., 8GB or 16GB) -- which is why I gave in and snagged a previous gen. model during one of the latest deal highlights.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
This /\

The processor should be plenty but the RAM amount will (begin to) be limiting. The M1/M2 has (at least) twice (i.e., 8GB or 16GB) -- which is why I gave in and snagged a previous gen. model during one of the latest deal highlights.

It's all so expensive sadly. :confused: I think I'll stay with iOS 14 then and my old iPad Pro. Don't want to ruin it with an update. Can't afford anything new right now. I hate that Apple obviously on purpose makes older models not work.

Do you think a battery swap could change the reloads matter, or is it really purely a memory thing?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
It's all so expensive sadly. :confused:
Agreed. I even hesitated and missed (i.e., sold out) the 128GB version. However, my justification was:

• The current (10th generation) ‘regular’/‘budget’ iPad starts at $449. Although, I need more than 64GB of storage capacity. The next level up is the 256GB, which jumps to a price of $599! I could go for the previous generation (still being sold in new condition) but that would also require me going for the 256GB model at a not so bargain price of $479.
• My typical upgrade cycle (for any item) is every 5 - 10 years. I have interest in the latest and greatest but far from any need to always have the best available. Going with the previous generation lowest tier iPad would greatly stunt the longevity.

Ultimately, if I would be spending at least $599, I might as well splurge a little more to get an up to twice as fast processor(s), double the RAM, an expanded audio system, Face ID — which is far more reliable/consistent in my experience/use -- plus niceties such as ProMotion, Thunderbolt, and enhanced camera system.

None of this is to convince you to upgrade.

Do you think a battery swap could change the reloads matter, or is it really purely a memory thing?
Unfortunately, it’s an eventual memory limitation — as is with computers. Software memory requirements is what made my iPad 2 practically unusable for everything (e.g., almost every website will immediately and constantly reload) except a couple of vintage games.

If your current iPad is acceptable, I’d suggest to wait it out.

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Agreed. I even hesitated and missed (i.e., sold out) the 128GB version. However, my justification was:

• The current (10th generation) ‘regular’/‘budget’ iPad starts at $449. Although, I need more than 64GB of storage capacity. The next level up is the 256GB, which jumps to a price of $599! I could go for the previous generation (still being sold in new condition) but that would also require me going for the 256GB model at a not so bargain price of $479.
• My typical upgrade cycle (for any item) is every 5 - 10 years. I have interest in the latest and greatest but far from any need to always have the best available. Going with the previous generation lowest tier iPad would greatly stunt the longevity.

Ultimately, if I would be spending at least $599, I might as well splurge a little more to get an up to twice as fast processor(s), double the RAM, an expanded audio system, Face ID — which is far more reliable/consistent in my experience/use -- plus niceties such as ProMotion, Thunderbolt, and enhanced camera system.

None of this is to convince you to upgrade.

Unfortunately, it’s an eventual memory limitation — as is with computers. Software memory requirements is what made my iPad 2 practically unusable for everything (e.g., almost every website will immediately and constantly reload) except a couple of vintage games.

If your current iPad is acceptable, I’d suggest to wait it out.

All these new iPads are extremely expensive if you ask me. Sadly 5-10 years as a product cycle is hard to hold. It's not impossible though, it depends on the device. I still have my first generation iPhone SE. I changed the battery, but it didn't become better really.

I have limited a lot of the software (no transparenze, no animations, etc.) and I only use it for basic stuff. I have the latest possible OS installed. It's still somewhat fast, but not ultra smooth anymore. But not unusable, it still works well.

It came out in 2016, so it's a 7 year old device. That's not far from your 10-year-cycle, but it starts to become crucial and I'll have to switch to a 13 Mini I believe. Very annoying. Would love to never have to switch unless it's something amazing and worth it.

As for my iPad, I can tell you that the update went very well. I have the latest ipadOS on my 2018 iPad Pro and it's just as smooth as before and super fast. I feel no difference. I was very worried, I'm so happy everything worked out. I hope future updates don't ruin it and hopefully I can keep it for another few years. It's 5 years old now, but it feels like a new device right now.

Reactions: MacCheetah3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.