Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
So, yesterday, pop goes my 3rd logic board's lower RAM slot on my 15" 1.67 PowerBook. Happy Christmas!

This board lasted a little over 3 months. It's the 3rd one, because when they they replaced the original, they put a 1.5GHZ processor back in so that had to come straight out again.

What do you reckon my chances are now of getting it replaced? I'm thinking - purely because the new ones use DDR2 and, as yet, this has by-passed the problem of lower RAM slots frying - I've got a good case. I didn't buy the machine from Apple direct, which is why they said they couldn't replace it. But now - with the fourth logic board needed, surely they can't just say they'll fix it again?

A trip to the Apple store, London beckons tomorrow.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
My iMacs logic board just went about 3 weeks ago... That makes me 100% in failed logic boards... Every single Mac I've owned has needed a new logic board- 4 for 4 so far... I'm a loyal Mac user and wouldn't even consider switching back, but I never had a logic board problem with any windows box I owned in the past... Granted, I had many other problems, and this is no way a Mac vs. Windows thing because my choice is Mac- but what's the deal with them and logic board failures?... Something's wrong with their design in this area if this is so common across the models... I understand the G3 iBooks, and yes 1 of my failures was on one of them, but my G4 iBook, iMac, and eMac also failed...

They replaced my G3 iBook after the 3rd replacement went bad, but it took some serious effort on my part... They would have continued replacing them every couple of months if I let them...

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I would call Apple Customer Relations (assuming you have an AppleCare case # for these repairs of the logic board). I have been told and have received several replacements from Apple d/t the "3-major-repair-rule". They will (not guaranteed) sometimes give you a new machine if you have had 3 "major" repairs to yours under the AppleCare warranty. I just had my RevA iMac G5 replaced with the RevC iMac G5 d/t this (hard drive, logic board, disk drive, and then disk drive again).
Write down your AppleCare case # and have it on hand when you call Customer Relations. Be firm and let them know this is unacceptable and tell them about all the problems you have had, the time you have lost with your PB in repair, and the $ you spent on the item.....before they have a chance to comment.
Every person I have spoke with in Customer Relations has been nice and understanding. Though the people I have spoke with in the AppleCare Warranty area have never offered a replacement, only to fix the problem again.
Good luck!

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks guys.

I have all the receipts and forms from the last time so I'll have those all prepared.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a major discussion, especially given the holiday period and them being very busy. I need a fully functioning Mac though, and a 1.67 G4 with 512MB ram cannot cope with CS and Quark 6, plus other apps, all at the same time.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Here's to the resolution...

What a result - Apple replaced my Rev D: 1.67 80GB HD 64MB VRAM, with the new Rev E, a gig of Apple Ram (I previously had 2x 512 and one was from Crucial) and a 100GB hard drive.

Excellent!

Very happy with this resolution so thanks Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.