Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Guys - on the iphone 13 pro max, if I use manual pinch while taking a video vs pressing 3x button, am I still using the zoom lens or just the standard lens?

Thanks

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I think if you hold the 1x button with your thumb (long press) you will see a zoom scale that you rotate left or right to zoom. Once the camera zoom reaches the 3x equivalent, the camera, I think switches. Pinching the screen probably keeps the 1x without switching.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Easy to test what’s going on.

Support camera so it’s taking a picture and won’t move. Take one picture after another of the exact same image but zoom in after each one - until eventually you’re fully zoomed in.

Maybe write the zoom level on a piece of paper each time and put it in the frame so it’s visible in the picture.

Then go back through your series of pics and zoom all the way in. It will be obvious what’s going on.
Digital zoom looks horrible while true lens magnification looks fine.

Tip:
Never use digital zoom. Choose one full focal length or another and crop the picture later for best image quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.