Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

litosclone

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
Ok -- I shot an independent film on a Canon GL1, I used the 16:9 GL1 option (it stretches the height). I accidentally imported the film in 4:3 ratio to Final Cut Express HD. By the time I noticed my mistake, I had imported the entire film. I changed the easy setup to 16:3, hoping it would change the format and it did. When I'm editing, the viewer and canvas show the film in widescreen format. But when I export the file to QuickTime, the film is back to its 4:3 format. Does anyone know if I can change the stretched 4:3 to 16:9 with out having to re-import the film from the camera and DV tapes?

litosclone

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
ChrisFromCanada said:
Check the resolution that you are exporting at, make sure it is a 16:9 resolution.

Where do I find the resolution in exporting. I go to file > export > and there are two options:

Option 1- Quick Time Movie > include audio and video and markers, there is no place to check resolution. I Know this save is for DVD studio pro or iDVD

Option 2- Using Quick Time Conversion > Format and Use. "Format" gives you options like QT, iPod, MPeg2. And "Use" is for choosing internet speeds.

Next to format there is an "options" button: when clicked it takes me to "Movie Setting" I click on the "Settings" and it opens another window.
There I have a pull down bar called "Compression type" right now it says H.264 there are other option, but none say 16:3 or Anamorphic. There is a preview box to the bottom right of the window and it previews my export as 16:3, but the final product is 4:3. :confused:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
16:9 not 16:3. ;)

Try this
Export->QT Movie
then under the "settings" menu select "DV NTSC 48khz Anamorphic"

I ran into a similar problem a while ago unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it.

Lethal

litosclone

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
Try this
Export->QT Movie
then under the "settings" menu select "DV NTSC 48khz Anamorphic"

I ran into a similar problem a while ago unfortunately I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it.

Lethal[/QUOTE]

That's not an option in Export > QT movie
or in "Quick Time Conversion"

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
litosclone said:
That's not an option in Export > QT movie
or in "Quick Time Conversion"

Hmm. I'm using FCP not FCE, but I didn't think the export options would be that different. Sorry. Looks like w/o copy of FCE I'm not much help.:eek:

Lethal

frankpledge

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
16:9

1st off, go to http://www.lafcpug.org/ for questions. they know all.

next.

16:9 is sorta a 'viewing' process thing. your footage is always squished. FCP allows you to see it unsquished because it processes it. but the footage is in fact squished. for instance - if you send (external view) your cut out to a monitor/tv, unless the monitor has 16:9 capablity (meaning it will unsquish it), it will appear as that same distorted 4:3.

copy the 16:9 footage in your 16;9 timeline and paste it into an empty 4:3 timeline. FCP will automatically 'letterbox' the footage. you then have to render the entire timeline. export THAT seq.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Are you able to go Export --> Quicktime Conversion --> Then format: Quicktime Movie and click options then click on "Size..." and enter a 16:9 resolution. Like 320x180 or 640x360?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 118

litosclone

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
ChrisFromCanada said:
Are you able to go Export --> Quicktime Conversion --> Then format: Quicktime Movie and click options then click on "Size..." and enter a 16:9 resolution. Like 320x180 or 640x360?

That worked! :D
Thanks ChrisFromCanada

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.