Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I was about write a 4.36GB VIDEO_TS folder to a blank 4.7GB DVD, the OS tells me that the DVD isn't big enough, it's capacity is only 4.3GB. But it says 4.7GB printed right on the DVD. I'm trying to make a DVD that will play on a stand-alone DVD player.

How come only 4.3GB is being recognized? How can I burn this folder to a DVD?
:confused:

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Miscommunications in capacity standards throughout the industry have caused this confusion.

The manufacturer makes a disk that has a capacity of 4.7g; however, when formatted by the operating system the capacity shrinks because of the way the OS interprets the size of a megabyte.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
It's the same as the issue about hard drive size that crops up every now and then. My HD was billed as "80GB" but when I a Get Info on it, it says size is 74.41GB.

Same thing with the DVDs.

if you compressed the file yourself, I would say that the "best" choice is to go back and bump down the bit rate a little and see if that helps.

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Hm...makes sense now, I've encountered the HDD version of this situation (120GB but 112GB useable)... but now the dilemma of getting it on to disc.

I'm about to sound like a major noob-to-video, but can you recommend an app. that will 'resize'/reduce the bit rate of the file to fit within a 4.3GB disc? Unfortunately I don't have the original files to work with just this 'compiled' video_ts folder.

nerdy fisherman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2006
Manchester, NH
Re: 4.36GB VIDEO_TS folder and a 4.3GB disc :(

Try the latest version of Roxio's Toast or if you can find it, Roxio Popcorn. There is a feature called "Fit to DVD Compression" that may work for you. It has worked great for me when I've had similar circumstances. The quality may not be as good as the original (prolly not THAT different), but at least you will be able to enjoy your video.

Good luck,

Nerdy Fisherman

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
You could also use DVD2OneX to resize the folder to fit onto the disc. It does a pretty good job of resizing.

Lincoln 6 Echo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Thx, it worked!

Thx all! I tried a mix of all of the above and got it to work.

Another question: has anyone ever tried to make a dvd-disc from an xvid avi?

Is it a similar principal, for example, to stretching a 10kb (100x50) jpeg to 640x480 = image quality gets very poor? This person has a family video in xvid avi format and can't play it on their standalone, so they want it converted to DVD. Is there a minimum resolution required from certain files/formats in order look good when converted to DVD? This will be played back on a standard CRT TV (what is the 'resolution' of a CRT anyway? lol).

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You could also splash out on a DL blank. That should have no problems accomodating 4.36GB and no waiting for recompression, assuming your burner supports this. Prices have dropped to affordable levels, now.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Lincoln 6 Echo said:
Another question: has anyone ever tried to make a dvd-disc from an xvid avi? Is it a similar principal, for example, to stretching a 10kb (100x50) jpeg to 640x480 = image quality gets very poor?

You can find software to do that, but the result usually sucks. DivX files have generally a high compression, a low rate and a low resolution, so that the final result on TV shows big squares in the dark area, confusing scenes when there is a lot of movement and an overall disappointing quality. Additionally, the few times I tried, I encountered growing delay between the sound and the video, as the soundtrack is not properly anchored, so that the sound happens one or two seconds before or after the relevant scene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.