Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicopulse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Hello guys&girls,

The 4/6 digit code is enough to remove the “Find my iPhone” security protection.

Verified during a robbery, where on the ground and surrounded by 4 thugs, I gave my 4-digit code. With my iPhone + the 4/6 digit code, they were able to reset/change my iCloud password, and take control of it, and remove the “Find my iPhone”. Yes yes, just that. Confirmed by Apple in after-sales service.

I would like to know if it is possible to deactivate this functionality. In other words, only the iCloud password can unlock my iCloud account and the Find My iPhone function. I don't want a backup.

• Wow
Reactions: Nermal

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Hello guys&girls,

The 4/6 digit code is enough to remove the “Find my iPhone” security protection.

Verified during a robbery, where on the ground and surrounded by 4 thugs, I gave my 4-digit code. With my iPhone + the 4/6 digit code, they were able to reset/change my iCloud password, and take control of it, and remove the “Find my iPhone”. Yes yes, just that. Confirmed by Apple in after-sales service.

I would like to know if it is possible to deactivate this functionality. In other words, only the iCloud password can unlock my iCloud account and the Find My iPhone function. I don't want a backup.

You might find this thread at TidBITS, an Apple community I follow in addition to MR, helpful:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sorry you can’t, as there is no way to unbind passcode with on-device password reset.
Not only that, some new beta features REQUIRE you to use 4/6-digit codes rather than alphanumerical, which is just absurd.

• Wow
Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Not only that, some new beta features REQUIRE you to use 4/6-digit codes rather than alphanumerical, which is just absurd.
You're kidding, right? That is simply preposterous. Someone at Apple needs a knock over the head for that one.

Also, very sorry about your situation OP. This needs to be addressed for sure. Too much of our info is tied to our accounts now for thieves to simply walk away with them. Simply life shattering for some.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Sorry you can’t, as there is no way to unbind passcode with on-device password reset.

That sounds like a bug, is iOS going to make me change my alphanumerical passcode to use features?

Reactions: splifingate

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Sorry to hear you were robbed like that - I hope karma catches up to those that did this to you.

Frankenstein's Fat Foot

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2021
I know its not the point of this thread and it wouldnt have made any difference to OP in that situation

- but nobody should be using 4 digit passcodes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.