Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
OS X is great, but if I can render something in 1/3 the time for 1/3 the price, what do you think I'm gonna choose? [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like your not using X.2 or a New Mac.
Why do you waste your time on here?
Again, find a better deal than the New dual 867 on the Pc side, I'll buy it.
Daniel

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If cheaper is always better...

Buy a Daewoo, up to 60% discount on some models.

---

I still don't understand making the effort in keeping a reverse switchers, let them make the mistake. The joy in seeing them suffer with Windows is well worth it.

But at least they'll have the games to make them happy about their endless suffering.

void

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2002
Not here
I hate to say this but, Intel really designed a good chip. The P4 still has alot of life in it even though the P5 is going to be introduced in 2nd QTR of 2003. The G4 either has to step aside for the Power4 or really get it's act together.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by fourthtunz

Sounds like your not using X.2 or a New Mac.
Why do you waste your time on here?
Again, find a better deal than the New dual 867 on the Pc side, I'll buy it.
Daniel

I was speaking mostly of what others see when comparing. Believe it or not it, matters. True, numbers don't mean that much. It's all about the real-world performance. But you know what? Apple gets their butt kicked most of the time. You can quote benchmarks all you want, and for light stuff who cares? But for the hardcore stuff, Macs need to be faster and cheaper. That's all there is to it. They want to entice more Audio/Video/Image editing people, that's what they're gonna have to do.

Why is it anytime anyone critizes the Mac, they are automatically written off as trolls? Are you just going to accept whatever Apple does? They aren't perfect you know (though they do seem that way next to a PC). I've had many, many computers. Several of them were Apples. My 6400 was slow as molasess and froze all the time, but it got the job done (most of the time). I've since sold off or given away all but a custom built AMD running Windows 2000. I would have had a new G4 Tower, but my project lost funding and now I'm moving.

For the record, after I get settled in the new place, I was going to get an iBook and a Tower later (or a new PowerBook maybe). Why you ask? Because video editing in Windows sux. But it still bothers me that a very fast computer I built for a very small amount of money bests a $3,000 "SuperComputer". I'd rather use FCP (I've played with it, it's nice) instead of Premier. And OS X instead of Windows (any version, don't get me started on why XP sux so much).

But not all of us can always afford a Lexus when a Toyota will work just fine (notice I didn't say Kia or something. I didn't buy a Gateway).

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually happy with the 167 FSB, the large drive support, the dual CD Drives, etc. The Dual 1.25s look pretty zippy. But compare it to a PC (don't fool yourself, people do. Don't just tell them to buy a PC if they don't like it, cuz you know what, that's exactly what they do), it doesn't look so good. Apple is a business. WinTels are their competitors. We all have to recognize this. Apple has to keep up to stay alive in the long run.

I'd rather have a Mac, but don't fool yourself. You can build a really nice PC for less than $2,000 (with plenty of basic software that helps you crash Windows even faster) that blows the $3,000+ machines out of the water. You get a nice, out of the box experiance with OS X.2, but is it worth it for the higher price and slower performance. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I'm just so tired of PC weenies saying Macs are all style, no substance. And like many computer users who actually use their computers, I'm torn. Speed and price, or style and stability?

Only when Real-Time is really Real-Time, only then will I be truly happy.

fragiledreams

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2001
Athens, Greece
Originally posted by solvs

I'm just so tired of PC weenies saying Macs are all style, no substance. And like many computer users who actually use their computers, I'm torn. Speed and price, or style and stability?

Only when Real-Time is really Real-Time, only then will I be truly happy.

Please stop the stability bull****. We are not living in the age of windows 95 any more. Some of you guys live with illusions.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by solvs

.I'd rather have a Mac, but don't fool yourself. You can build a really nice PC for less than $2,000 (with plenty of basic software that helps you crash Windows even faster) that blows the $3,000+ machines out of the water. You get a nice, out of the box experiance with OS X.2, but is it worth it for the higher price and slower performance. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Again, you are living in the past. Macs are now fast and a very good deal. Premiere is not a pro video app and is not optimized for the Mac, Imovie(a free app) and Final cut render much faster. I still have premiere but is very slow on the Mac and I won't upgrade. You can do audio and video on any computer but when you do it to make your living you have to look at the whole picture and that means looking at everything pcs included, and right now the Mac is a better deal overall.
Daniel

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by fragiledreams
Please stop the stability bull****. We are not living in the age of windows 95 any more. Some of you guys live with illusions.

But sometimes fantasy can be so much better than reality.

And if you deviate too much, the drugs they'll give you in the looney bin will really warp your mind.

---

Note: the above post has no basis in reality. But for those that have always used Apples, sometimes it's really hard to think like a PC user without drugs.

fragiledreams

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2001
Athens, Greece
Originally posted by Sun Baked

But sometimes fantasy can be so much better than reality.

And if you deviate too much, the drugs they'll give you in the looney bin will really warp your mind.

---

Note: the above post has no basis in reality. But for those that have always used Apples, sometimes it's really hard to think like a PC user without drugs.

The truth is that it is too hard for me to follow some of you guys when you compare Ferarri / Mercedes with Daewoo / Yugo. Is this the best you can do to make a point?

Really pathetic, may I say. :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nah, that was for the cheaper is better debate.

If that were true we would all be buying Daewoo's right now.

And you'll note I didn't compare them to Mercedes, because I would have purchased the big Daewoo (the one with the Mercedes powertrain) if they imported it for under 20k.

However the 200MPH Yugo is just plain silly, and could be considered a cheap suicide note.

I just didn't want to get into the Apple vs. PC debate - because I lack the reality distorting drugs.

Once again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.