Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Last week my iPhone X fell off the couch (Mexican jumping bean?). It had an Apple Case on and landed screen side up, but I was confronted with one Fluorescent Green bar on the screen. I restarted and now I have 4 such Bars, one with a little bit of pink. In the current crisis, it's hard to find an authorised Apple repair shop. I tried to do a hard reset, but it wouldn't do it, nor would my Mac recognise the phone when tethered. My suspicion is that there is a loose connection rather than a screen issue. Can anyone confirm this and give me an idea of repair cost? A good guide is the US price which will translate roughly into £'s or Euros. I attach a photo, although the lines show as white rather than the green to the human eye.

Attachments

• IMG_2244 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2244 (1).jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 255

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
From a quick glance at the photo the screen itself looks good but I cannot tell you what’s actually broken.

Have you tried calling Apple to see what service options they offer for your region at the moment?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The display is damaged (common symptom with oled screens that have been dropped).. You'll have to have it replaced which isn't cheap.. Hopefully you have AppleCare+?

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
That's a fractured OLED panel. Unfortunately, the panel often breaks before the glass.

Reactions: ericwn

Avro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Belgium
Thanks Guys. Looks like I might just might wait for a new iPhone 12.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Last week my iPhone X fell off the couch (Mexican jumping bean?). It had an Apple Case on and landed screen side up, but I was confronted with one Fluorescent Green bar on the screen. I restarted and now I have 4 such Bars, one with a little bit of pink. In the current crisis, it's hard to find an authorised Apple repair shop. I tried to do a hard reset, but it wouldn't do it, nor would my Mac recognise the phone when tethered. My suspicion is that there is a loose connection rather than a screen issue. Can anyone confirm this and give me an idea of repair cost? A good guide is the US price which will translate roughly into £'s or Euros. I attach a photo, although the lines show as white rather than the green to the human eye.

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before where the lines are vertical on opposite quadrant sides of the display, usually it’s 4/5 Vertical lines straight down the middle. Even LCD panels will still produce something similar in terms of the coloration of A green, whitish or even a rainbow light pattern, but your screen would need to be replaced either way, just because it’s far more straightforward versus trying to fix any other component.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.