Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
NY
Forgot to post this earlier but the Apple Store replaced my logic board under AppleCare. I think it's more because of the beeps than the kernel panics though...

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Not on the MBA. Apple has not allowed 64-bit booting on MB or MBA to my knowledge. I tried when SL was first released. Even though hardware supports it, Apple doesn't on these two "consumer" Macs. Read about some third party utilities that can force it. Honestly with all the problems with those who are using 64-bit kernel, I believe OS X isn't truly ready for it. Apple has failed big time in my book!

Interesting. My regarding booting 64 bit kernel were based on reading various articles and not on first hand experience. I wanted to make sure that people were running in as stock as possible a configuration so that we could rule out any other odd factors .. trying to simplify the search space.

rocketman69

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
kp on MBA

Never had any problem before Snow Leopard...

Not on the MBA. Apple has not allowed 64-bit booting on MB or MBA to my knowledge. I tried when SL was first released. Even though hardware supports it, Apple doesn't on these two "consumer" Macs. Read about some third party utilities that can force it. Honestly with all the problems with those who are using 64-bit kernel, I believe OS X isn't truly ready for it. Apple has failed big time in my book!

Going to these kernel panics... I haven't had a single kp, ever on a rev B/C MBA. Not in Leopard nor in Snow Leopard. I have never used CoolBook either. I find no need on a rev B/C to use it.

Some have mentioned FireFox over Safari, but Safari is much much faster in its latest 4 release. I haven't had any problems with Safari.

I don't really have any clue what's happening here. I sure wonder if it's a common app you're all using if it's only happening in Snow Leopard or if it's a hardware issue.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
So far I haven't gotten any kernel panics so I'm pretty satisfied right now.

I was getting kernel panics soon after SL. I also had the logic board replaced, and things have been smooth since then.

The twist in my story is that this is the 2nd logic board replaced on my Rev A in 1 month.

They tell me that if anything goes wrong again, I get a new computer. Isn't a logic board essentially a new computer already?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I was getting kernel panics soon after SL. I also had the logic board replaced, and things have been smooth since then.

The twist in my story is that this is the 2nd logic board replaced on my Rev A in 1 month.

They tell me that if anything goes wrong again, I get a new computer. Isn't a logic board essentially a new computer already?

If there's something truly wrong with your MBA, I think you should complain! You would get a rev C of equal quality/drive type. Now that's a new Mac and a super Mac at that... your logic board got you the same Merom super hot CPU and Intel integrated graphics. A rev C with an Nvidia 9400m and Penryn CPU would be a GIGANTIC upgrade.

Good luck.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
If there's something truly wrong with your MBA, I think you should complain! You would get a rev C of equal quality/drive type. Now that's a new Mac and a super Mac at that... your logic board got you the same Merom super hot CPU and Intel integrated graphics. A rev C with an Nvidia 9400m and Penryn CPU would be a GIGANTIC upgrade.

Good luck.

@Scottsdale: I used to think you went a bit overboard with your criticism/rants on the rev A. It's a bit late, but now I know you were dead on. Hopefully, others read your (and my) experiences more seriously.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
@Scottsdale: I used to think you went a bit overboard with your criticism/rants on the rev A. It's a bit late, but now I know you were dead on. Hopefully, others read your (and my) experiences more seriously.

Well, I used to believe others could learn from my mistakes in life. I was so freely willing to share everything I knew. However, most people have to learn for themselves. In the case of the original MBA, at least it's only money and time wasted and not something worse.

Nobody benefits from me being right about the original MBA unless they were the few that believed me and stopped themselves from buying that model. I can definitely understand why people wanted the original to be right for them when it was so heavily discounted over an Nvidia based MBA.

Best wishes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.