Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
So I have a period of about 4 weeks that I can do some gaming soon. Anything worth trying? I used to like MMOs and ARPGs but those are crazy time consuming and doubt I could make much progress in anything like in 4 weeks.

Both Macs are Apple Silicon sadly so I feel like I'm not swimming in options here!

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Divinity Original Sin 2 runs well on my iPad Pro 12.9" M1. But the game is crazy expensive in the App Store for mac :(
A great game.
Baldur's Gate 3 is another favourite.
But you have to love D&D RPG, for these games.

You say your Mac is running on Apple Silicon. From what I have seen in the past months, you can actually run more games than the Intel macs. With Sonoma. Do a little research ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku and TJ82

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Anything worth trying? I used to like MMOs and ARPGs but those are crazy time consuming and doubt I could make much progress in anything like in 4 weeks.

Warcraft III: Reforged
Warcraft-III-Reforged-Review-01-Header.jpg

It is a remaster of the original WC3 from the early 2000's, also contains the expansion and bonus "Rexar" campaign. While Blizzard didn't keep all their promises when they first announced the remaster, it still looks great when compared to the original.

It isn't AS Native, but performance wise it does well with AS Macs. I have been playing it with a 19c M2 Pro Mac Mini on 4k with maxed graphic settings, but I was also playing with the M1 with a 1080p ultra wide, and it played great.

Probably an issue with playing it on AS, but the title screen when picking what type of game you want to play (Campaign, Single Player Custom games, etc.), the frame rates suck, but don't let that fool you, once you actually start playing it is smooth on AS, even the M1.

The game itself is fun. Has a great tutorial for the first stage to teach you how to play, so the learning curve isn't hard. I played the original and the original expansion back when they launched 20 years ago, and playing it again was amazing. It seemed a little easier than it used to be, but one or two stages were still challenging. There is difficulty settings, easy and hard. If you are looking to just play an easy game that has a great story, choose easy. if you are looking for a challenge, choose hard, you are changed it back to easy if you run into a stage that is too difficult.

If you do play and beat the game, two things:

1. DO NOT BOTHER WATCHING THE END CREDITS. Blizzard used to have fun with their end credit screen on their games, but that is all over. It is literal an hour of credits displaying the same artwork over and over. Nothing special happens if you watch it all the way through. Watch it until the art work repeats, then turn it off. Do not do what I did and watch until it was over thinking something special was going to happen (again, Blizzard used to have special end credits)

2. The Bonus Rexar Campaign. Prior to World of Warcraft MMORPG launching in 2004, the original Warcraft 3 had a downloadable content, a bonus campaign that would show up as long as you beat the Frozen Throne expansion. The bonus campaign was a prelude of the World of Warcraft story, and was kind of a preview of the WoW gameplay, as you mainly controlled one character like WoW, versus an army like WC3. If you are familiar with WoW, you play through the events that ended the truce between the Horde races and what would become the Alliance races in WoW. Really cool bonus.

So I have a period of about 4 weeks
Depending on how much you are playing in those 4 weeks, Warcraft 3: Reforged might be the perfect amount of content to play.

I suggest playing all the campaigns first, I think there are 10 total, and play the bonus campaign, which is a good amount of content. After all that, you can do single player, custom games and play against the AI. Some of the custom stages are pretty large, and you can have up to 12 teams playing at once.

Reactions: TJ82

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
So I have a period of about 4 weeks that I can do some gaming soon. Anything worth trying? I used to like MMOs and ARPGs but those are crazy time consuming and doubt I could make much progress in anything like in 4 weeks.

Both Macs are Apple Silicon sadly so I feel like I'm not swimming in options here!

On the contrary, you actually are swimming in options. Apple Silicon is absolutely loaded with stuff to play.

Firstly, obligatory Factorio mention. Factorio is crack. You will lose so many hours to it.

Secondly, have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward and Stormblood expansions up to level 70 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

Thirdly, No Man's Sky got a Mac port and runs amazingly on the ARM Macs

I can keep going lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.