Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
if only they made the studio an bit bigger to at least let users upgrade storage (apple own modules only) + maybe an m.2 slot and or an pci-e X8 or X16 slot.
An external Compute module will need better then just the bandwith of an TB port.
I am hopeful that if I am semi-correct Apple at least re-jiggered the I/O in the M2 Studio to make a single dedicated PCIe -like connection for external gpu, pci, storage.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The lack of any substantial leaks for a Mac Pro has me thinking we're not going to see one today. I'm not the target market anyway, but that'd bum me out. :(

• Sad
Reactions: mode11 and kiiso

misterwise

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2022
That's a decent amount of GPU power @misterwise , whatcha doing with it?
I mainly work on live music shows doing performance visuals. Set designs now are getting so complex with so many pixels I can never have enough render power. The last show I did had a master pixel map (adjusted for the different LED products) of 110 Million pixels! My AS Macbook Pro actually faired ok for compositing but couldn't render any major CG on it at that size.

novagamer

macrumors regular
May 13, 2006
You wouldn't like a quick preview, with a confirmation it will have the MP 2019 case, use M3 and come out later this year?
Change this to 2024 and I agree this is likely.

They aren't going to undercut the M2 Studio unless they time-box the Mac Pro release to let people know it is coming but is a while away, so "buy this one now if you need something", assuming the Mac Pro will use M3 which I hope is the case.
I mainly work on live music shows doing performance visuals. Set designs now are getting so complex with so many pixels I can never have enough render power. The last show I did had a master pixel map (adjusted for the different LED products) of 110 Million pixels! My AS Macbook Pro actually faired ok for compositing but couldn't render any major CG on it at that size.
This is super off-topic but that's a really cool/interesting job & use case. Do you have a link with more info on what you do specifically? I'd love to check out some of your (or similar) work & workflow.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The lack of any substantial leaks for a Mac Pro has me thinking we're not going to see one today. I'm not the target market anyway, but that'd bum me out. :(

2019 Mac Pro didn't get any leaks before the show. But Mac Pro development has seemed possibly troubled, so no idea how things will go...

Reactions: dmr727

kiiso

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
My thinking:
  • iPhone is top1 priority for Apple –> 3nm capacity is reserved for iPhone (September)
  • M3 will use 3nm –> M3 will be announced after the iPhone
  • First M3 Mac will be MacBook Air 13" and new MacBook Air 15" (Chistmas season)
  • Apple will not announce high-end and low-end M3 at the same time –> M3 Mac Pro is 2024/2025 product.
  • "2 year transition promise" and "Mac Pro is for another day" statement at the Mac Studio announcement –> First gen Asi Mac Pro will be announced this year.
  • If Mac Pro is announced this year, then it must use M2.
  • WWDC is perfect opportunity to announce XR Glasses and a Mac Pro with compute modules is a perfect tool for high-end AR-VR content creation. This is a complete solution-package, wich is something that the Apple Marketing Team loves.
Quod erat demonstrandum: WWDC M2 Ulra Mac Pro announcement.

Thanks for your attention.:cool:
DPaL4skX4AAs4VP.jpg

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
So - the ASi Mac Pro uses M2 Ultra. No MPX, but 6 PCIe v4 slots (though not for GPUs). Glad Apple have finally shown their hand.

With the problems they were having - this was the pretty clear move.

Hard to tell how many of these things they will sell though. Without GPU expandability I don't think I'll be buying a Mac Pro.

Reactions: misterwise and NC12

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Will be interesting to find out the bandwidth available for the slots. They all look like x16; presumably there's a fair amount of PLX switching?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.