Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok, so I have been looking EVERYWHERE for an answer for this, and I have found NOTHING.

At work, I plug in my iPhone to my work computer so it charges, and I have crappy service (we are in a basement). I get right around two bars of 4G; if I'm lucky, I'll snag some LTE. My iPhone is the iPhone 6, running the latest iOS (9.3.1). I know there is a 100 MB download limit for apps when not connected to Wifi, which I usually bypass by turning on my iPad's hotspot and connecting my iPhone to it. However, today I forgot my iPad, and I REALLY wanted to play Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories. I had just downloaded Knights of Pen and Paper 2 without looking at the file size, but what I was really itching for was Harvest Moon (I've been on a HM kick lately). So I went into my purchases and downloaded it, or tried to. I got the familiar "This item is over 100 MB" message. Bummer, but fine. I'll just play Pokemon Emerald since I brought it with me.

But then I got to thinking. Hang on, how big is Knights of Pen & Paper 2? And how big is Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories? So I checked. Harvest Moon is 330 MB, so of course it wouldn't download without Wifi. However, I then was totally thrown for a loop when I looked at Knights of Pen and Paper 2: "Size 406 MB". Uh, what? So, as an experiment, I deleted Knights and restarted my phone, then tried again to download both Knights and HM. Again, Knights downloaded right away, without a hitch, and super fast for only two bars of service. Also, again, HM told me the file was over 100 MB. The whole time, I only had two bars of 4G and was plugged into my work computer, charging, and I didn't touch my phone except to start the download.

Can someone explain to me what the heck is going on here? I would LOVE to download larger apps without Wifi, which I know is impossible, but how the heck does Knights download when it's bigger than HM and more than 4 times the size limit?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ok, so I have been looking EVERYWHERE for an answer for this, and I have found NOTHING.

At work, I plug in my iPhone to my work computer so it charges, and I have crappy service (we are in a basement). I get right around two bars of 4G; if I'm lucky, I'll snag some LTE. My iPhone is the iPhone 6, running the latest iOS (9.3.1). I know there is a 100 MB download limit for apps when not connected to Wifi, which I usually bypass by turning on my iPad's hotspot and connecting my iPhone to it. However, today I forgot my iPad, and I REALLY wanted to play Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories. I had just downloaded Knights of Pen and Paper 2 without looking at the file size, but what I was really itching for was Harvest Moon (I've been on a HM kick lately). So I went into my purchases and downloaded it, or tried to. I got the familiar "This item is over 100 MB" message. Bummer, but fine. I'll just play Pokemon Emerald since I brought it with me.

But then I got to thinking. Hang on, how big is Knights of Pen & Paper 2? And how big is Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories? So I checked. Harvest Moon is 330 MB, so of course it wouldn't download without Wifi. However, I then was totally thrown for a loop when I looked at Knights of Pen and Paper 2: "Size 406 MB". Uh, what? So, as an experiment, I deleted Knights and restarted my phone, then tried again to download both Knights and HM. Again, Knights downloaded right away, without a hitch, and super fast for only two bars of service. Also, again, HM told me the file was over 100 MB. The whole time, I only had two bars of 4G and was plugged into my work computer, charging, and I didn't touch my phone except to start the download.

Can someone explain to me what the heck is going on here? I would LOVE to download larger apps without Wifi, which I know is impossible, but how the heck does Knights download when it's bigger than HM and more than 4 times the size limit?

Where are you getting those file sizes? I checked iTunes, Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is 124MB and Harvest Moon is 151MB. Now the only thing I can think of is that because of app thinning, the file size for Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is actually less than 100MB allowing you to download it. Your 330MB and 406MB figures are probably what your iPhone storage usage is telling you, but thats the installed and expanded file size, not the actual download size.

I know this doesn't relate to your situation, but updates also have this problem. For example, RR3 update yesterday said it was 1GB, but I could download it over LTE because it was a delta. The updates page on iOS gives you the full app size, not the actual update size. When you click update, you will get the pop-up saying its over 100MB, but it will download anyway because the app update itself is under 100MB but the pop-up is reading the full app size.

Last edited:

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Where are you getting those file sizes? I checked iTunes, Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is 124MB and Harvest Moon is 151MB. Now the only thing I can think of is that because of app thinning, the file size for Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is actually less than 100MB allowing you to download it. Your 330MB and 406MB figures are probably what your iPhone storage usage is telling you, but thats the installed and expanded file size, not the actual download size.

I know this doesn't relate to your situation, but updates also have this problem. For example, RR3 update yesterday said it was 1GB, but I could download it over LTE because it was a delta. The updates page on iOS gives you the full app size, not the actual update size. When you click update, you will get the pop-up saying its over 100MB, but it will download anyway because the app update itself is under 100MB but the pop-up is reading the full app size.
I was getting that directly from the information on the app in the App Store. If I can, I will post a screenshot. I specifically checked the apps' pages on the App Store when I was trying to download them and couldn't. Once I can get a screenshot sent to my work e-mail, I will post it. Perhaps they had incorrect information on there for a time? Maybe now it says the same as you're seeing. Like I said, I will look again, and if the numbers are still the same, I will screenshot it and post it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'd go with app thinning too. I've several apps that on the App Store claim to be 100mb + but will download over cellular but will download a 'patch' once installed.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, I have the screenshots, but I have no clue how to post them, as Facebook refuses to generate a link for me to add in here, and I don't use any other social media. But in the "Information" section of the App Store page for each app, the "Size" category says "330 MB" for Harvest Moon and "406 MB" for Knights of Pen and Paper 2. If Facebook would stop hating me, I would give you screenshots. Facebook and I have always had a love-hate relationship.
[doublepost=1460476278][/doublepost]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741834.100001342094001&type=1&l=9550f73649

After fiddling some more, I got it to give me a link. So, here you go. This is why I never use Facebook. Ahaha.

And, after taking all this time and trouble, I just noticed, like a total blonde, that there is an "Upload File" button.... I think I'm going to go back to bed now....

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I have the screenshots, but I have no clue how to post them, as Facebook refuses to generate a link for me to add in here, and I don't use any other social media. But in the "Information" section of the App Store page for each app, the "Size" category says "330 MB" for Harvest Moon and "406 MB" for Knights of Pen and Paper 2. If Facebook would stop hating me, I would give you screenshots. Facebook and I have always had a love-hate relationship.
[doublepost=1460476278][/doublepost]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741834.100001342094001&type=1&l=9550f73649

After fiddling some more, I got it to give me a link. So, here you go. This is why I never use Facebook. Ahaha.

And, after taking all this time and trouble, I just noticed, like a total blonde, that there is an "Upload File" button.... I think I'm going to go back to bed now....

Interesting. I wonder if the App Store is mentioning the size it takes up, vs the actual download. This s what I see on iTunes/Safari iTunes Preview.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.57.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.58.08 AM.png

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Interesting. I wonder if the App Store is mentioning the size it takes up, vs the actual download. This s what I see on iTunes/Safari iTunes Preview.

View attachment 626439 View attachment 626440
Strange. So, we are essentially looking at the same thing but seeing different information. That's very odd.... At least we have established to each other that we are not crazy. Lol! So, in short, who knows what is going on with my phone downloading the larger of two files without issue. Ah, well, I guess I will have to accept it as an unsolved mystery unless someone else has anything helpful to add.

And, of course, I've long since downloaded the games via WiFi, so it technically doesn't really matter, but I'm the type of person who needs to know WHY for everything. I was one of those annoying kids that ask "Why?" after every new answer, and I haven't really outgrown that; I've just taken to asking Google instead, as Google doesn't get annoyed with me. Ahahaha!!!

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.