Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Issue is taken care of: chatted again and all is well. Sending it in with no cost associated with it! xD
——

I’m so confused as to why it costs $450... like... send me the box: I send it in, then if they fix it they can fix it.

If they can’t; they send it back.

It seems so odd to me that it’s so pricey!!

Similar experiences by anyone else?

20E50916-7D9B-409E-9ECD-24C7AD08A630.png

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I’m so confused as to why it costs $450... like... send me the box: I send it in, then if they fix it they can fix it.

If they can’t; they send it back.

It seems so odd to me that it’s so pricey!!

Similar experiences by anyone else?

They are a $2000 billion company now.
No wonder they get greedy and jump on every chance to choke Mac fans for big bucks.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have a 2016 MacBook that I sent in. Cost me nothing for a keyboard replacement and my keys weren't even sticking - just the letters on some keys had worn off. Turn around time for mail in repair was 5 days total. Zero cost. No hold or precharge deposit placed on CC

dinobear

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
I just got the box to send my 2018 13" in. Sticky space bar. No mention of a cost of it nor did they receive my credit card info.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Did they run a remote diagnostic? It sounds like they suspect there's other damage. Or the wrong repair code was input, but that would get straightened out after the inspection. You could re-chat with Support to ask that the repair code be reviewed, and you find it odd that an estimate hold is being placed when there should be no cost.

Regardless, just hope for the best that the inspection doesn't find anything other than the keyboard issue. If you haven't shipped it off yet, take lots of photos and a video or two.

Last edited:

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Did they run a remote diagnostic? It sounds like they suspect there's other damage. Or the wrong repair code was input, but that would get straightened out after the inspection. You could re-chat with Support to ask that the repair code be reviewed, and you find it odd that an estimate hold is being placed when there should be no cost.

Regardless, just hope for the best that the inspection doesn't find anything other than the keyboard issue. If you haven't shipped it off yet, take lots of photos and a video or two.

I chatted again with them and they were able to get the repair set up correctly - like you said; must have been someone with the wrong code!! xD

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.